UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: stratton2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76911  
Subject: Re: 401k vs capital gains Date: 2/9/2007 10:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First, does my logic make sense? Or am I overlooking something big?

Second, what are the requirements on 401k's and ROTH IRA's. I've already made my full 2007 contribution.

Yes, it makes sense. I assume your full 2007 contribution refers to the Roth IRA. You can contribute up to $15,500 to a 401K in 2007. If you turn 50 this year then you can add another $5,000. So crank up your contribution percentage to lower your income taxes keep some of your other largess in *your* bank account.

Probably the question bugging you is it worth dipping into some of the gains to cover for the lower take home pay because of the increased 401K contribution. You can spend the extra money you need this year and lower the 401K contribution for 2008.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Middleby Corp.

Middleby's Middling Quarter
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.