UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SGTDolph Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1107  
Subject: Re: Edward Jones any Good ? Date: 5/31/2012 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
First - Edward Jones and any other Brokerage Firms out there are not in the Investment Management business. They are in the customer service and asset gathering business.

I worked for a large investment firm and could not possibly watch all the accounts that I managed. I built my portfolio from zero to $50 Million. Just to put it into perspective that was over 3000 accounts, which were comprised of many different things from mutual funds, cd's, stocks, bonds, etc.

The advisor is paid on commissions of new money or money movement. They do receive a small trail commission from the mutual funds, but not enough to feed your family on. So they are focused on gathering more assets.

Second - The advisor cannot be held completely accountable for market fluctuation. September 2011 to now is not a long enough time to predict how the investmets you were recommended will perform. The commissions are set by the mutual fund company and I can tell you that the guy you invested with on got about 35% of the commissions, so you can see why he is always hungry for more money.

Rules and Guidelines make it nearly impossible for an Advisor to move your money without falling under the microscope for many violations. The regulators look at every investment on a long term basis.

So to answer your question: If you are truely a buy and hold investor, meaning you are not watching your account constantly, and are looking 5 years or more out, then Edward Jones or any other Brokerage Firm are good places to get great customer service. If you are not this type of investor: then the old saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself" may be the best decision or maybe less risky investments may be an option.

I hope this helps!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement