UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: shirehobbit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308474  
Subject: First Experience With CC Fraud Date: 6/28/2012 1:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Since I've been using credit cards since the mid 1970s I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I was looking at my transactions on my Citicard yesterday morning because I was getting ready to pay my monthly balance in full and I wanted to make sure all my monthly auto charges had gone through. They had, but I saw a transaction that I knew I hadn't made. I called the phone number of the merchant and told the rep that it was a fraudulent charge and asked her what the item was. She said it was a purchase of a gift card. I have never bought a gift card from that merchant and I wouldn't have done so for that particular dollar amount. The email she gave me is not mine (I don't even use that email provider). She said she could not credit me the amount because it was a gift card. I said, fine, then I'll contact my bank and do a credit card chargeback.

I called Citi and they cancelled my account number and told me I would have a new card the following day. They also temporarily credited my account for the charge in question while it is being disputed.

This morning I got a vm from the merchant saying that since the gift card hadn't been used they deactivated it and are going to credit my account for the amount of the purchase.

Citi told me I could go online today and link my new account number (I received my new card this morning and activated it). Gee, why didn't it surprise me that I could not link the new account number? I called Citi and they said it will take four business days for it be activated online. I told the tech it had better be working by Saturday because I pay my balance in full every month.

This morning Citi told me to call the three credit agencies and put a free 90 day fraud alert on my accounts. I called the first credit agency and they tried to sell me a security monitoring package for $14.99 a month. Some of you may recall that I had one of those for years while I was paying off my cc debt and I never needed it in regard to fraud. Question to you Fools, do I need it now?

Cheers,

Shire
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement