Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
First, I think borrowing against retirement assets is self defeating but if you are going to do it anyway:

Don't do the IRA, you can't borrown against or use it as collateral on a loan.
Look at the summary plan descriptions for both your old 401k and the new 401k and see if either or both allow plan loans. Chances are, as a terminated employee you can't borrow from the old plan. So, your only option may be to roll over to the new plan and hope they offer loans - which most 401k's do. But please, borrow only the minimum amount you need - remember these are your retirement funds.

You can still do a sep up to the due date of the return including extensions. But a sep contribution will do nothing to self your self employment tax problem. Sorry.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.