No. of Recommendations: 0
First, it doesn't appear to me that dwade is retired. He just changed jobs. Obviously, this is an option to all employees who are unhappy with their jobs but it is not retirement. It can be done on far less money than total retirement.

I never said I was retired. I started the post with Full time consulting works for me. When I said some of us retire early, consult, start a business, or who knows what those were examples of non-traditional thinking. I did the middle one. Now, as it happens I work about 10 months out of the year. The last couple of summers we've gone to Europe for a while. And when I was an employee for 4 years I didn't take a single day of vacation time (there was always some crisis that prevented it) so that's quite a contrast. But no, I'm not claiming to be retired. I'm not even really interested in being retired in the traditional sense -- I'm interested in being financially independent and this board has been a help with that.

Sorry if anybody was confused by my wording. I was mostly trying to make the point that there are a number of non-traditional options other than being an employee or just chucking the whole thing and not working at all. A happy middle ground, as it were.

Doug
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement