Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
First, it would be Foolish to investigate the terms of the trust and discuss this with the trustee who manages it. If you are one of the beneficiaries named then you should (generally) receive this distribution gift-tax free. However, it also depends upon the assets held by the trust. Stocks, for example, if converted to cash would be subject to capital gains based on time and appreciation. The gift taxes (if any) would have applied to assets at the time of their inclusion into the trust. Also, it does not matter if you intend to incorporate the distribution with assets held jointly with your husband. Again, check out the trust instrument!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.