No. of Recommendations: 8
My very first New Years Eve sober was to start off with a Pot Luck dinner/meeting at the local A Club. That to be followed by a ride to a big New Years Party in a town 20 miles north.

I started out for the pot luck in my beater of a car and was on schedule to arrive about 5 minutes early. That is, until my car gave a ghastly metal crunching metal sound and died on me.

Now I had only been sober since August of the same year and had been a low bottom drunk, so we weren't talking about anyone else being with me.

By the time I got myself squared away enough, the pot luck would be ending so I decided to hitch a ride up to where the party was supposed to be.

You all know how there are all these coincidences in AA, right? So who stops and picks me up? Another AA couple who happened to be on their way up to said party!

So, at about 9pm and I'm at this party and the entertainment is an accordion player.....yep....an accordion player. I'm standing there against a wall, by myself (it was the product of all those well-developed social skills acquired from years in the bar) when some of the younger folks I knew came up to me and said: "Hey we know about this NA party not real far from here, do you wanna go along?" I let them know that my ride had died and that I would also need a ride back down to my town. They assured me they wouldn't leave me stranded.....

Well, you have to trust somebody sometime and besides, I was in Florida and knew I could hack any kind of outside time I might have to spend. I mean after all, I had lived outside as homeless for quite some time in more hostile climate than Florida hadn't I?

So off we went. I tried not to be a front seat driver but we were taking the same road a couple of different times, so I asked what landmarks they had been told to look for, saw them, and played navigator successfully.....by simply following directions....who woulda thunk it?

We got to the party, there was good music, metal, rock and roll, etc. There was food and dancing and good talk.

The people that said they'd give me a ride home....did.

It was the first New Years eve in a couple of decades that I remembered (or even wanted to)the next day.

The people that had picked me up when I was hitching, a couple of days later they sold me one of their used cars and owner financed it.

I didn't do one thing that night for which I was ashamed the next day.

But the accordion player.....that part was exactly like I thought my first sober New Years eve would be!

But I was willing to go to any length to stay sober....even trying to learn how to enjoy the accordion....but I cannot tell a lie, I'm glad I got rescued.

Poz
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement