UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883717  
Subject: Re: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/18/2013 4:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
First, note there is a discussion board specifically on the subject of LBYM Drugs--

http://boards.fool.com/walmart-humana-001-high-blood-pressur...

Second, Sam's Club is owned by Walmart, and as far as I know has the same plan as Walmart. I have used the Walmart prescriptions and find they are fine. A few limitations--

1. Only the drugs on the list are included. So you may still need insurance to cover other drugs. You do not need insurance to take advantage of the low rates at Walmart. They are available to the public.
2. Walmart has limited hours and sometimes pharmacist is not available (as for lunch) so department is closed. You will want coverage at 24-hr pharmacies (like Walgreens in my area) for some emergencies.

As to drug coverage under Medicare (Medicare Part D), I think part D coverage is better than Medicare Advantage Plans. Advantage has high deductibles and copays and limits where you can go to dr, hospital, etc. A major illness can be very costly.

There is a penalty for failure to sign up for Part D when you are eligible. You probably should sign up. But do the cost comparison for the drugs you now need. Keep in mind future medical needs can change those requirements. You want coverage for those too.

I have Humana Part D coverage. Most generics are free (after premium and annual deductible) when mail ordered from Right Source, but can also be filled at Walmart.

AARP also has low cost Part D coverage, but I found its copays less attractive, and low cost approved drug Tier 1 list more limited (making my drugs more costly).

I use Anthem for my Part B Medigap insurance. Splitting B and D between two companies has caused no troubles so far and I found Anthem Part D insurance more costly.

Check out annual total costs to you before you decide.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement