Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pedorrero Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25265  
Subject: Re: Post-tax vs Pre-tax Date: 6/14/2002 2:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First of all congratulate yourself for saving anything in your mid-twenties.

I don't think it is possible to put post-tax money into a 401K. I could be wrong. But your pre- vs. post- tax question is very valid for IRAs and other types of retirement plans (including 401K).

No hard and fast rules here -- and my info is incomplete.

"No-brainer": if you are eligible for 401K with matching, invest so that you get the most "free" (matching) money for your buck. For example, I once worked for CSC and they would match up to 3%, so I put in 3% of salary.

Arguments pro invest the money pre-tax (traditional IRA): you pay no taxes now, and earnings are tax-deferred. I like this approach, for the fatalistic reasons that I haven't yet paid taxes, the government is going to get its taxes some day, and no one can really tell what tax rates are going to be in 30 years, so it's a fool's errand to try and guess!!!

Arguments against investing pre-tax: you have to pay tax when you take out the money (Traditional IRA). There is a very good chance you will be in a higher bracket then, especially if you are "forced" to take withdrawls (this can happen).

Argument pro Roth IRA: You put in the money post-tax. You can raid the IRA (after 5 years) and get your original money out. At retirement, all the proceeds are tax free.

Argument for regular (taxable) investment account: pay your taxes up front. If you invest for capital gains (as opposed to interest/dividend), and hold for 5+ years, your maximum tax rate is 18%.

Complicated choices -- perhaps check with a financial planner.

Pedorrero, muddying the waters of truth since 1961.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement