Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First of all, thanks for the quick reply, and being at least one opinion which agrees with my interpretation. If I understand you correctly, the interpretation is that since the all the stock/money in the account was an employer match, 100% of the distribution from it would be equivalent to a "bonus check", as I had no basis in the stock in the account.

Note that the withholding rate applied seems to be the flat 25% rate plus flat state rate of 2%, which an employer is allowed to
use for bonus distributions, even if your W-4 would require a different rate of withholding. As a result, if your marginal tax rate
is higher than the 25% federal tax rate collected, you may end up owing additional tax on the distribution (i.e., your employer
may have underwithheld). You should look into whether you need to make additional estimated tax payments to avoid
penalties.

Actually, the 27% was just on the federal income tax line, and the state income tax withheld was an additional $256 (~4.2%, appropriate for MI).

...and thanks for the advice for the additional tax implications due to the witholding being undertaxed relative to my marginal tax rate. (Un)fortunately, they had done this from all previous bonus checks in the 3+ years I worked there, so I was well aware of this effect. FWIW, MS Money Tax Center actually does a pretty good job of showing tax implications of mid-year events.

T.J.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement