Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dcardno Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 211939  
Subject: Re: Fool charging for access to community? Date: 1/29/2002 3:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First off - how can anyone think of leaving when RJMason is still going to be here? I really am going to miss you guys - maybe even enough to pony up (but I doubt it).

In any event - RJ had some questions:

"Dean, if we are to be co-adventurers, it doesn't seem so unreasonable that everyone in the party should cough up some money to pay for the horses, rope, and ammunition."

Yes - but not everyone IS. We steerage passengers are carrying the freight for you toffs.

"Thousands of dollars in uncompensated writing effort, but not one penny in tribute."

Yeah - amazing what people will do for enjoyment and peer recognition. Amazing what they will do for principal, too. Maybe I am cutting off my nose to spite my face (and it is possible I will 'come to my senses' and recant and cough up - at this point I cannot say), but did not come here to be a customer.

"...a lot of your resentment is based on not liking the Gardners very much..."

Only partially true - I still have a very low regard for David (no doubt the feeling is mutual, or to paraphrase Rick Blaine 'I guess he would despise me, if he ever bothered to think about me'), but Tom seems like a nice enough guy. I think he is trying spin-doctor this whole fiasco, but he probably has very little choice. It is amusing to see the denials at cross-purposes: 'we are doing this because it is expensive to run the boards and we need the money' but 'we are not doing this because we need the money and might go down the tube otherwise (so don't worry, your $15 is safe)'

The real complaint is that they are fundamentally changing the terms of our relationship, without acknowledging the change. I don't believe that three years ago they were planning a 'bait-and-switch' for Feb '02 - but they are trying to pull one off. By treating me as a (abysmally stupid, pathetically unobservant) customer, they have alienated me as a participating member. I fear that they have done that for enough participants that this little community will become like Celebration, Florida - that little ersatz town by Disneyworld where the whole place looks like Main Street, USA - where people pay to live the dream of community, rather than rolling up their sleeves where they are and creating one.

"...a standard public television subscription is much more expensive than what the Fool proposes to charge."

Yes - but the production values are higher <g>

Cheers,

Dean
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement