UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rubindj One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Re: Where to get info on preferred stocks Date: 8/18/2000 6:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First off see my earlier post on preferreds as investment vehicles...

You didn't make specific what kind of information you are looking for. If it is call dates, coupons, conversion, par, or participation amounts of a specific issue relative to analysis of that issue, there are multiple sources.

First, I'd check the companies web site as they may have the IPO prospectus for the preferred issue. This will of course contain all of that fun information available for you to analyze, in an easy to read format, assuming of course you have a degree in Finance or Accounting and your ChFA. If the company doesn't have it on their web site, you can check Edgar, but Edgar only required electronic filing since 1993-1995 (depending on the company). If its an older preferred issue the IPO prospectus won't be there; however, if you check the latest 10-K of the company, much of the information should be located in the notes to financial statements.

Now if you are looking for stock screens on preferred issues and not information on a specific issue -- good luck. I haven't yet found one, for pay or free, but would like to know if anyone does. I believe barrons (the old fashion paper type) does publish a listing of preferred issues trading on the NYSE weekly, and that may be a good place to start looking.

Preferred issues, unlike common stock, have much more in common with bonds, and trade much more like bonds, with brokers holding inventory in some cases and with most preferred issues not available to the public but rather in private placements. The publicly traded preferred stock isn't easly screed because in many cases every preferred stock is unique, and may have very little in common with another in terms of risk or potential reward, or the nature of the security.

rubindj
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement