Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zulea Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27423  
Subject: First Stock for Kids Date: 6/6/2005 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
HI,
I have 3 kids and have set them up each with an account with $200. I want them to pick a stock or two so we can do a little research and see what some things are to look for in a stock. Yet it also needs to be on the less expensive side so they can buy mor than 3 shares. Anyone have a few ideas for stocks in the right price range to look at?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10167 of 27423
Subject: Re: First Stock for Kids Date: 6/6/2005 11:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
This is a great idea. I wish I had been introduced to investing at such a tender young age.

Since this is an educational exercise, I would aim for several stocks even if only one share in order see some companies up, others down, observe balance and diversification. Another idea is to pick companies they have heard of, eg Coke, instead of something esoteric. Also one that pays a dividend would be useful to their education. Way to go...

Author: Imaginos1888 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10168 of 27423
Subject: Re: First Stock for Kids Date: 6/6/2005 11:48 AM
Disney (DIS) is going for about $28 right now...

Author: bogwan Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10169 of 27423
Subject: Re: First Stock for Kids Date: 6/6/2005 12:21 PM
Ask them which industries they think will do the best. Then choose a few of those. You might also try ADRs of their favorite countries.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10170 of 27423
Subject: Re: First Stock for Kids Date: 6/6/2005 12:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have 3 kids and have set them up each with an account with $200. I want them to pick a stock or two so we can do a little research and see what some things are to look for in a stock. Yet it also needs to be on the less expensive side so they can buy mor than 3 shares. Anyone have a few ideas for stocks in the right price range to look at?

How old are the kids? What are they interested in? The first rule of investing is to invest in what you know, so I would ask each of them to come up with a list of public companies that they think have potential from their perspective. Then begin researching them. It will be a lot of work (mostly yours), but they will learn from the process.

Fuskie
Whose first stock was Borland because he taught himself Pascal in High School...

Author: NechesInvst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10171 of 27423
Subject: Re: First Stock for Kids Date: 6/6/2005 1:29 PM
Right on Fuskie!

Have the kids make a fairly long list of some of their favorite items, or places.

McDonald's, Coke or Pepsi, computer games, places to shop, fave resturants...

Looks like I'll need to start my lil' one on something like this soon...

Mike

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement