Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I started working as an independent contractor for a software company last August. It is steady work and I get regular paychecks but I have to save and pay all the taxes myself.

I'm not very knowledgeable with taxes and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I have a couple of questions and hope that some of you can help me.

1) What should I do file my taxes for last year? Let a tax professional do it or buy TurboTax or Taxcut. I'm a dot-it-myselfer but I'm concerned about not maximizing my deductions. If you recommend doing it with tax software, which one of the many versions of TurboTax (for example) should I get?

2) I just realized that I need to make quarterly tax payments to the IRS. How do i set this up so I can send them money?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.