Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

We bought a house in 12/96 and for the tax year of 1996, I just took a standard deduction as it was greater than itemizing. (didn't itemize closing costs etc.) I was told that I can carryover these closing costs in to the 1997 tax year. In 1997 also I have to take a standard deduction as my mort. interest and property taxes together are less than the standard deduction. Can I carryover these closing costs to the following year?

Thanks a lot.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.