UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: topolski Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/27/1999 1:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi...

Back for one more message on my ongoing First USA saga. To recap, I made my May $300 payment. First USA said it bounced. My bank said it was paid. 3 months of letters and phone calls ensued, meanwhile they charged me late fees and interest despite the dispute. I have sent 6 copies of the proof of payment, while they never were able to come through with a copy of the check they said was 'returned unpaid.'

Yesterday, I mailed a complaint to the Comptroller of Currency, detailing the event timeline and requesting assistance. The mail carrier picked up that letter and dropped off a letter from First USA:

"This is to confirm that we corrected this matter by crediting your account for $300.00, as well as for any applicable fees."

So I checked the online account, and the money wasn't credited.

I called the toll-free number and the guy at the end claimed that I wouldn't see the credit until the next statement was printed. I challenged that, but he stuck to his story. I told him that I didn't believe him, previous credits had appeared within 24 hours, and that he was simply giving me the brush off rather than do any legwork to help me, but record the fact that I called and what I wanted, and I would call tomorrow to confirm that he did that. I called him by name so that he knew I knew who he was.

Guess what? The account was credited today. I'm done!

Good riddance, First USA, may your investors continue to punish you for your sins.

And speaking of investors, if you have 15 minutes and would enjoy hearing Wall Street talk about First USA's problems, drive your browser to http://www.vcall.com/static/startframeset.asp?companyid=765 and listen to the analyst detail First USA's internal problems. She's makes it clear that their lousy service and punishing tactics are behind this week's profit warning, and she also singles out First USA as being the most aggressive issuer in their going after the customer in fees ("no grace period" policy) and hoping the rest of the industry would follow. She also details the late posting debacle.

And this week I set up a discussion site at http://www.egroups.com/group/first-usa-customers/info.html ... its new and naked, so feel free to come populate it.

Thanks

Robb Topolski
Free from First USA At Last
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lunacx3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14827 of 308782
Subject: Re: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/27/1999 2:32 PM
CONGRATS Rob!!!!! And thanks for all you helpful advice. We will miss you and I'll be sure to check out your site, Good luck!

Valerie

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14830 of 308782
Subject: Re: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/27/1999 3:19 PM
Guess what? The account was credited today. I'm done!

Good riddance, First USA, may your investors continue to punish you for your sins.

Congratulations, Robb! With all the horror stories that have been posted, it must be an incredible relief to be out from under the grasp of this company.

Ya gotta wonder when FirstUSA is going to get the message.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: aj3 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14833 of 308782
Subject: Re: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/27/1999 3:53 PM
Robb wrote:

Congratulations on knocking that monkey off your back! I divested myself of Bank One (same guys) a few months ago and the stress levels have been reduced dramatically.

My faith in TWTW (the way things work) is restored. Bank One/First USA gave mucho crap to its customer base and now it's reaping the benefits of its actions. I guess we just have to have patience and things will eventually work out.

DIE FUSA DIE!!! (Financially speaking of course)

Art

Author: DrVelocity Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14835 of 308782
Subject: Re: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/27/1999 5:09 PM
Given the angst that Bank One is now in with their earnings "surprise", I suggest the that you call, get past "level one", and ask for compensation for the pain and suffering their screw up cost you.

Or send a letter in writing (in the most reasonable tone you can muster up).

It seems worth a shot.

Author: Greenworthy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14840 of 308782
Subject: Re: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/27/1999 5:58 PM
I am brand new to this board today and not quite sure how this works. However, was FASCINATED to read even a hint of displeasure with First USA -- I have been having a terrible time with them and think they are completely unscrupulous. Any advice as I thrust toward eliminating my debt with them -- forever?

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14841 of 308782
Subject: Re: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/27/1999 6:06 PM
I am brand new to this board today and not quite sure how this works. However, was FASCINATED to read even a hint of displeasure with First USA -- I have been having a terrible time with them and think they are completely unscrupulous. Any advice as I thrust toward eliminating my debt with them -- forever?

Hi again, Green!

I didn't realize you were new here. Welcome, Fool! : )

If you scan through various threads on this board, you'll find an overwhelming dislike and distrust for FirstUSA. Many have spoken of very unfavorable experiences with them.

I think you'll find that the consensus will be that you should get that one paid off and closed as soon as you can.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: forumcap Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14845 of 308782
Subject: Re: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/27/1999 7:16 PM
Congratulations Robb!!!

Author: xu4054 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14859 of 308782
Subject: Re: First USA Saga ends... I'm Free! I'm Free! Date: 8/28/1999 7:28 AM
Similar experience here. I paid for over $200 balance over the phone in June, and they said they didn't get any so I paid another $200, and naturally, money was deducted from my account twice!

dan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement