Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22994  
Subject: Re: Poll: Parenting Question Date: 4/10/2013 1:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
FirstLock has a slight, but broad, developmental delay. He is about a half-step behind his peers on almost everything.

I dealt with developmental delays for quite a while since the twins were premature, and with DS having ADHD, he is still just a tad behind developmentally.

DS has a stuffed cow that he got his first Christmas in his stocking from Santa. It was love at first sight, and me, being terrified that he would lose it somewhere and I would not be able to replace it, always had a rule that said the cow was an indoor cow, and was not allowed to leave the house except for overnights, so the cow went to grandmother's, and it went with us to FL, and anywhere else that he visited overnight. I can remember lots of times when we'd go somewhere and DS would be concerned that the cow would be lonely, so we'd put her in a chair and give her a book to read.

DS did not take the cow on overnight Boy Scout trips (I was afraid he would lose her and that the kids would pick on him), so we gave him some excuse about why the cow couldn't go, and he managed to leave her home when he went to college, although he had a choice to bring her. He still sleeps with that cow when he comes home.

Personally, if Elmo gives FirstLock some security, and you can convert him to a stay-at-home-Elmo, I would do that. I see no reason, developmental delay or not, to remove his security object. In fact, I would think that would just make things worse.

I'd be looking for other solutions on his anxiety, and if my doctor has suggested this for DS, I might even be looking for a different doctor because I'd think he did not understand the patient.

But taking away his security toy would not even be on my list.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement