UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60064  
Subject: Fiscal Cliff my @ss Date: 11/10/2012 8:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
I'll give the Republicans one thing . . . they are better at propaganda and manipulating the press than their opponents. Having their own propaganda branch, FuxNews, is very helpful, but it's more than that. They seem to understand that reporters, publishers and broadcasters can be complete whorrrres when it comes to ratings. They love the sensational and scary catch phrases so much that they are willing to sacrifice accuracy and the truth to repeat them.

The most recent tea-bagger catch phrase is "Fiscal Cliff". Everybody's saying it. Democrats seem powerless and unable to point out that Republicans drove the nation into the "Fiscal Chasm of Doom" back in 2002 when they passed the Bush tax give-aways and chose to start two wars and pass Medicare D without even a glimmer of a thought about how to fund them.

I don't really want Democrats to get better at propaganda, but I do wish they would get better at slapping down both Republicans and reporters whenever they use Republican propaganda arguments. They need to learn how to say, "If there is such a thing as a fiscal cliff, Republicans drove the nation over it back in 2002. It's time that we start climbing that cliff so we can come out of the Bush Fiscal Chasm of Doom now."
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46185 of 60064
Subject: Re: Fiscal Cliff my @ss Date: 11/10/2012 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
salaryguru: I don't really want Democrats to get better at propaganda, but I do wish they would get better at slapping down both Republicans and reporters whenever they use Republican propaganda arguments. They need to learn how to say, "If there is such a thing as a fiscal cliff, Republicans drove the nation over it back in 2002. It's time that we start climbing that cliff so we can come out of the Bush Fiscal Chasm of Doom now."

Not only that, there really isn't a cliff. It's more like a curb or a hill. Some of the items that would change are a slow, gradual change. Some won't have full effect for almost a year. For example, the debt ceiling is supposed to be an issue by March, but if taxes go up in January, that will be put off at least for a little while because more revenue will be coming in and spending will be going down because of sequestration.

As everyone probably knows, Washington won't do anything substantive until smashed up against the wall by some big, hairy brute. Then they will do the job they were sent to do. Hopefully now that they don't have to worry about making Obama a one term President, they will actually govern. But I'm not holding my breath. Now their agenda will be to make sure the Democrats don't take over the House. Now their agenda will be to make sure they win a majority in 2014 and 2016, including the Presidency. I am afraid obstructionism will never stop. The Republicans won in 2010 which means they were able to redistrict and retain quite a large number of House seats this year. Elections matter, sometimes for a very long time.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46186 of 60064
Subject: Re: Fiscal Cliff my @ss Date: 11/10/2012 12:41 PM
Recommendations: 2
<< They love the sensational and scary catch phrases so much that they are willing to sacrifice accuracy and the truth to repeat them.
>>

Followed next by:

<<The most recent tea-bagger catch phrase>>

I'm sure Salary Guru doesn't notice the irony.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46188 of 60064
Subject: Re: Fiscal Cliff my @ss Date: 11/10/2012 1:07 PM
Recommendations: 2
ha...Obama's already been campaigning...it wasn't 8 hours after the re - lection that it was all 'tax the rich' tax the rich....'tax the rich'....

Sorry...this is all going to have a bad ending.

Unless they get the spending under control......we're not only headed to the financial cliff but over it.

Likely, they'll just 'punt' and kick the ball down the field another couple yards into late next year and do absolutely nothing.

it will, of course, be even worse then.

With all the new ObamaKare taxes kicking in next year.....without exception.....

with all the massive costs coming with Obamakare in 2014....next year will be a recession you won't like.

Then the progressives will insist upon another trillion in porkulus for 'stimulus'....borrowing to spend your way to prosperity, which will just sink us even faster.

Obama does not understand the words 'spend less'.

He's got 4 years to borrow and binge......with no one to stop him other than the Chinese.

You realize that the US now 'buys' 70% of the bonds it sells since no one else wants them? That is QE? buying your own bonds to keep interest rates near zero.

We can't afford to pay interest on 16 trillion at 4% interest....you realize that would eat up 20% of the revenue coming it. Try it at 6%.

You remember 1982? Treasury notes sold for 15% interest- 30 year bonds!.......

Now try and figure out the interest on Obama's planned 20 trillion in debt at 15% interest. It's more than the entire tax take each year.

You see how this isn't going to end well, once inflation , which has been 'delayed' , rears it's ugly head and the Chinese say 'no' to loaning us more money.

Remember, we are already 'buying' (borrowing even more)70% of all the debt we issue. Stupidity at work, but, heck, it kept Obama in office....can't blame him for stupidity. Only people who understand there is no money fairy- they're the stupid ones.

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement