UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61399  
Subject: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/9/2012 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I don't really have the time to do this now. Maybe next year I'll make pesto and instead of freezing it in old margarine containers I'll put it in pretty jars. (Although I am tempted with the salt idea this year.) But I thought these ideas were interesting enough to share. I am sure there are other internet sites with ideas of homemade gifts of all kinds. I think it is a great idea and pulls us away from the commercialization of the holidays.

http://grist.org/food/enough-with-the-christmas-cookies-five...
Enough with the Christmas cookies: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts
Tired of Christmas cookies and jam? I try to give something edible every year, and here are some of my recent faves.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46722 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/10/2012 5:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<Tired of Christmas cookies and jam? >>

No.

My simple gifts this year are a half pint jar of strawberry, raspberry and blackberry jam.

Anyone who wants to give me Christmas cookies is welcome to do so.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46730 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/10/2012 11:17 PM
My gifts this year are dehydrated herbs (Italian Parsley, Sage and Rosemary) that I grew in my garden w/o pesticides or herbicides. I managed to dry a little bit of thyme this year, which goes to my "Very Special People List". Next year the plant should be well established. (We may also see how well it competes with spearmint<G>.)

I bought the dehydrator too late to dry either the basil or the spearmint. They'd begun flowering.

Next year I'll branch out to tomatoes and chile peppers, as well. I dried some for our winter use this year, but not enough to give away. I used the first of the dried tomatoes in the beef barley soup I made Sunday. It adds the right note of acidity - Yum!

I'm going to try to make a lime-flavored coconut meringue cookie for holiday visitors. It's a Mexican recipe, according to Better Homes & Gardens.

PM

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46733 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 12:09 AM
I was going to make homemade limoncello to give to friends this year for Christmas, but I didn't start in time. Maybe next year.

I'll probably just do the Christmas cookie thing this year for my neighbors and a few friends that won't get a bottle of wine. Or maybe homemade cinnamon rolls and bread. I don't really "do" Christmas--my family did away with gift giving several years ago--and the only people I give to are people at the office, etc.

Oh, and I am making dog biscuits for my friends who have dogs. That's always fun.

I only give edible gifts these days; I know I personally have enough "stuff" and I don't want any more. I recently discovered that one friend is a hoarder (no, not really an exaggeration), so I'm not going to feed her disorder with more stuff to clutter up her house and agonize over getting rid of. A lot of friends express the "i don't want any more stuff" thing, too, so I'm taking them at their word.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46738 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 12:53 AM
Recommendations: 3
I forgot to add that we are blessed/cursed w/ ~18 poinsettias thanks to #2 son's Plant Propagation class. People who visit are expected to take at least one plant w/ them<G>. We have warned relatives, already!

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46745 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 9:32 AM
"I forgot to add that we are blessed/cursed w/ ~18 poinsettias thanks to #2 son's Plant Propagation class. People who visit are expected to take at least one plant w/ them<G>. We have warned relatives, already!" - polymermom

Oh yeah we did that in the one Horticulture class I took. Euphorbia pulcherrima, Poinsettia. Euphorbia is the same family as milkweed which I found rather humorous. It is a native of Mexico and the milky sap from the Poinsettia is irritating to skin and slightly toxic.

If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago) we made cuttings off the Poinsettia by making a diagonal cut about 9" from the end and then dipped it in indole acetic acid, which is a rooting hormone, and then put the ends in moist sterile potting soil. You can buy rooting hormone at garden centers.

Art

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46761 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 4:29 PM
MEK: I was going to make homemade limoncello to give to friends this year for Christmas, but I didn't start in time. Maybe next year.

Recipe, please?

Count Upp

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46762 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 4:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
Recipe, please?

There are several online. I've never made it before, but this is the one I picked out to try:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12...

There are some recipes that don't "steep" as long, but apparently the bests ones are the ones that steep the longest. My plan was to make a double batch and then bottle in those old timey bottles with a homemade label, and a recipe booklet of drinks and cakes, etc.

Next year. I've got it on my calendar!!

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46763 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 5:21 PM
I was going to make homemade limoncello to give to friends this year for Christmas, but I didn't start in time. Maybe next year.

I did that one year. It was a big hit. I did an assortment of different home made BBQ dry rubs one year as well.

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46764 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 5:41 PM
Thanks for the recipe. I have the lemons, but how to get the grain alcohol. Liquor store?

Count Upp

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46765 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 5:43 PM
Thanks for the recipe. I have the lemons, but how to get the grain alcohol. Liquor store?

Unless you have your own still.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46769 of 61399
Subject: Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date: 12/11/2012 8:58 PM
If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago) we made cuttings off the Poinsettia by making a diagonal cut about 9" from the end and then dipped it in indole acetic acid, which is a rooting hormone, and then put the ends in moist sterile potting soil.

I did that about 20 years ago, using Rootone. The next year I went bonkers moving the plants out of the closet under the stairs and into the sun everyday for around 4-6 weeks to get them to bloom. I only made a half a dozen, thank goodness!

PM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement