UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1951402  
Subject: Five Years Ago Today Date: 10/9/2012 12:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Five Years ago the Dow closed at 14,164. The highest it has ever closed.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/stock-market-five-an...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822538 of 1951402
Subject: Re: Five Years Ago Today Date: 10/9/2012 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Things have really taken off since Democrats took control of 2/3rds of government in 2006, since then they have had 2/3'rd to 3/3rds (full) control for the last 6 years.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822557 of 1951402
Subject: Re: Five Years Ago Today Date: 10/9/2012 1:50 PM
Recommendations: 2
And just a week later, the chickens began to come home to roost.

By the end of the Bush years, that Dow had lost over 7000 points and stood at about 8000

Since that time, the Dow has struggled upward, and now sits within spitting distance of its former Bush era high.

But there are more chickens remaining to come home to roost.

They will come home- regardless of who wins the November election.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822563 of 1951402
Subject: Re: Five Years Ago Today Date: 10/9/2012 2:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
By the end of the Bush years, that Dow had lost over 7000 points and stood at about 8000

Since that time, the Dow has struggled upward, and now sits within spitting distance of its former Bush era high.

And yet all of the decline took place during the span that Democrats controlled Congress. Just a thought...the economy didn't tank until Pelosi and Reid got control of the check book.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822613 of 1951402
Subject: Re: Five Years Ago Today Date: 10/9/2012 3:59 PM
I see cjb still has problems distinguishing between coincidence and causality.

Author: richieds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822688 of 1951402
Subject: Re: Five Years Ago Today Date: 10/9/2012 5:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Just a thought...the economy didn't tank until Pelosi and Reid got control of the check book."

Which particular economic policy actions did the democratic congress force upon George Bush between 2006 & 2008 that sunk the ENTIRE world into a near depression?

I just wish both sides would end the demagogging.

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822739 of 1951402
Subject: Re: Five Years Ago Today Date: 10/9/2012 7:30 PM

I remember that time.

It was so unreal. I had been waiting for real estate bust and the inevitable disaster since about 2003/2004.
Then, the bubble burst, subprime and liquidity problems were starting to appear, and what does the stock market do? It goes to a new high.

By this time in 2007, I was almost coming around to the conclusion that nothing truly bad would happen to the economy.
After all, people had now had their noses rubbed into the fact that there had been a massive real estate bubble together with a huge amount of fraudulent mortgage credit.

I was incredibly puzzled that "smart money" didn't react to this with panic selling.
Surely, I thought, economists and professional investors can't be THAT stupid? Right?
The better explanation was surely that I was wrong in assuming that a big economic crisis was coming.

Those were my thoughts five years ago.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822752 of 1951402
Subject: Re: Five Years Ago Today Date: 10/9/2012 8:35 PM

Six years ago I was telling everybody the stock market was going to crash--HARD. Hopefully, it would stop near 6000. If not at 6000, then about 3000.

ALL the conservatives laughed and made lots of jokes about it.

As the Dow began its fall five years ago and Bear Stearns went into bankruptcy, the right suddenly stopped laughing. When the Dow stopped in the mid-6000s, they still did not respond to any comments. Ever wonder where they ended up? Nope. Their claims--their losses. LOL !!!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement