Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Fivestarj,

I've briefly looked into this myself. Right now, all my investing/trading money is inside an IRA so tax considerations don't exist. Down the road though when I have serious money in a regular taxable account I wanted to explore setting up a business entity to do my trading for the same reasons you mention. It entitles you to many more deductions. Also, corporate tax rates are lower than individual tax rates for identical incomes.

From my premilinary research being designated a "trader" by the IRS and setting up a business entity don't have anything to do with each other as some previous posters (erroneously in my opinion) mentioned. The business entity structure involves a limited partnership along with a corporation acting as general partner. Honestly, I am not knowledgeable of all the ins and outs. You may want to check this site: http://www.tradersaccounting.com/

They talk about this in more detail. There is also a guy out of Florida (the name escapes me right now) who does seminars and has written some books on this.

This appears to me to be a relatively new development, and I think even some tax professionals may not be fully versed on the most recent issues and ins and outs. One thing I've learned recently (especially learning more about options) is that the tax code aint all black and white. There's lots of gray in there.

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement