Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stillwater9999 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14357  
Subject: FKA: China Date: 12/4/2012 3:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://blogs.barrons.com/emergingmarketsdaily/2012/12/04/chi...

sw
Print the post Back To Top
Author: soycapital Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13003 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/4/2012 8:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
small cap Chinese stocks ate my cake, I'll never invest in Chinese small caps again. On the other hand, well run Asian and/or Chinese mutual funds have done quite well for me. Being patient that is!

Author: mungofitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13005 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/5/2012 3:54 AM
Recommendations: 2
On the other hand, well run Asian and/or Chinese mutual funds have done quite well for me.

Seems reasonable.
For the one-stop shopper, CHXF is potentially interesting.
WisdomTree China Dividend ex-Financials Fund
It's simply a bag of the 10 biggest [dividend-paying] non-financial stocks.
China Mobile
China Petroleum (oil)
CNOOC (more oil)
PetroChina (yet more oil)
China Shenhua Energy (world's biggest coal miner)
Want Want China Holdings (rice cakes and flavoured milk)
Jiangxi Copper
China Telecom
Hengan International (diapers and sanitary napkins)
China Communications (infrastructure construction)

If I were constructing an index, I'd probably pick 15-20 dividend paying companies and weight
them based on the percentage of the company not government owned, rebalanced quarterly.

Jim

Author: StuyvesantGrad70 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13006 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/5/2012 5:32 AM
Recommendations: 3
China listings may soon flee U.S., expert says
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/china-listing-may-soon-flee...

A mass exodus of Chinese companies listed on U.S. exchanges looks increasingly possible as an accounting rift between the two countries reaches a dangerous stage, a Chinese accounting expert says.

Since 2009, however, China has prohibited the locally based auditors — which audit the U.S.-listed Chinese firms, and are registered with the PCAOB — from sharing accounting papers with foreign regulators. Chinese officials have argued that sharing such information would be in violation of their own laws involving state secrets.

The disappearance of Chinese listings from the U.S. could have tremendous financial consequences. When ranked by value, the biggest 200 Chinese American Depository Receipts have a market capitalization of $951 billion, according to July calculations by investment bank Macquarie.

Author: mungofitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13007 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/5/2012 11:23 AM
The disappearance of Chinese listings from the U.S. could have tremendous
financial consequences. When ranked by value, the biggest 200 Chinese
American Depository Receipts have a market capitalization of $951
billion, according to July calculations by investment bank Macquarie.

Sounds like a false worry.
The firms aren't going away, just a place to trade the shares.
That won't exactly rock the world economy.

For those firms which have only a single listing location, I can see
a lot of unhappy campers among those owning shares which are suddenly private.
It's not something you want, of course, but a good rule of thumb is never
to own shares in a firm you wouldn't be OK with owning as a private shareholder.
Never go into a room that you'd dislike getting locked into.

Jim

Author: chk999 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13009 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/5/2012 12:06 PM
Will they get listed on the pink sheets, or be untradeable?

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13010 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/5/2012 1:12 PM
The disappearance of Chinese listings from the U.S. could have tremendous financial consequences.
When ranked by value, the biggest 200 Chinese American Depository Receipts have a market
capitalization of $951 billion, according to July calculations by investment bank Macquarie.

Extremely misleading. The top 10-15 is probably 80-90% of that $951B market capitalization.
China Mobile (CHL) & PetroChina (PTR) - each $230-240B
CNOOC (CEO) & China Petroleum (SNP) are each $95-100B
At the lower end, the top four are 68% of the $951B

Author: knighttof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13021 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/5/2012 7:59 PM
I've been a happy owner of CHEUY (Li Ka-Shing's Chinese Berkshire Hathaway, after a fashion.) It's up 30% in the last 2 years I have had it. Let's see if it stays steady.
With what minimal info I have, I like CHEUY (HK-based) better than any mainland Chinese company or ETF.

Author: wittgenstein Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13036 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/14/2012 11:39 AM
Recommendations: 2
I still have positions in Cheung Kong and Jardines both of which are Berkshire-like and just plan to hold on. For real FK activity, though, i sort of like France. No one in their right mind would buy SocGen, so naturally I did it a week ago.

My other FK was FCX (bought and wrote puts) after the market universally decided they hated their acqs.

jz

Author: mungofitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13051 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/18/2012 1:04 PM
No one in their right mind would buy SocGen, so naturally I did it a week ago.

This is why I love this forum.

I never did buy an Olam shares, but now that they have been accused of fraud I'm having a hard time resisting.
(bearing in mind that I've read a lot of stuff about the accusations so
far and not all that much of it seems to be sticking very well)

Jim

Author: wittgenstein Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13053 of 14357
Subject: Re: FKA: China Date: 12/18/2012 10:12 PM
Know what you mean.

(I do find it interesting that somebody at Bloomberg finds it newsworthy that Temasek is adding $240,000 to their holding in Olam shares.)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/temasek-buys-200-00...

jz

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement