Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello All!

I had a little question, but I couldn't find any documents in the 1040 to answer it.

I signed up for Flexible Benefits, or FSA, at work, for $3500 for my child's daycare. I have claimed back all of the $3500 from the FSA Administrator. My taxable inclome as reported on W2 has been reduced by $3500. So far, its good.

However, as the Daycare Provider increased her charges, I actually paid her $3900 for the entire year. I was wondering if I could claim the additional $400 for childcare credit. If so, how can I do that? If I follow the instructions on the 1040 form, there are only 2 cases.

Case 1: I did not receive the FSA benefits, so I claim upto $2400 for my child's childcare credit.
Case 2: I received FSA benefits, so I cannot claim any additional child care benefits. If extra money had been deducted, I forfeit that amount. However, if less money had been deducted, is that my loss too? Can't I claim the remaining $400 that I paid from my pocket?

- Donna.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.