Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

My wife and I both have Flexible Spending Accounts available at our work. The worksheet says "the maximum amount you may contribute to your Dependent Care Account is $5000; $2500 if you are married and file a separate income tax return." It would seem that since there is a cap for married filing separate, that the cap for both of us combined would be $5000, but it does not exactly say that.

Can somebody clarify this for me? Can my wife and I both contribute up to $5000 to our Flexible Spending Account?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.