Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: WilliamLipp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Re: capital gains when you short Date: 7/14/1999 12:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
fling Date: 7/13/99 9:09 PM Number: 17281
Well, I am aware of AMT's existence, but I haven't run any numbers. All I know is that I'm probably over the limit. Does that make this whole thing moot? Should I sell some options to get the gains categorized as income instead of triggering AMT?

As others have said, find someone that knows the real answer. I've not been in this situation, but listening with half an ear to friends, I think it works like this: You're going to be keeping two sets of tax books - the amount you would have owed, and the amount you owe because of AMT. As long as the AMT amount is higher, you will pay the AMT amount. But if, at some future date, the AMT amount gets lower than the regular tax, you start to recover the AMT. In effect, you pay the lower AMT tax in that future year until such time as the total taxes paid at AMT rates for all years becomes less that total taxes you would have paid at regular rates for those years. So assuming you will eventually be out of AMT range, perhaps by retiring young, you will eventually pay regular tax amounts, and should still be paying attention to long term holds of the stocks. The practical problem most people face is that this strategy doesn't generate cash in year one, while the AMT taxes generate expenses in year one. This may not be correct in all details - in fact in might be totally wrong - so use it as a basis for your own investigation, not as a guide.

so I was considering whether I could use a short sale as a hedge. My thinking was that if it corrects, everything's hunky dory.

Again, I'm not positive about this. But I think is the strategy known as shorting against the box, and I think the long term holding rules say, in effect, that this time period doesn't count towards long term capital gains, so it doesn't work as a way to lock in gains while waiting for them to age - the gains are locked in, but they don't age.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement