UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pcd917 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35357  
Subject: floating trusts Date: 10/19/1999 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have $5,000 to invest - probably for only a couple of years, until my 16 year old goes to college.

A broker has recommended floating trusts, but I'm not sure I understand her explanation.

Can anybody help me out?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 189 of 35357
Subject: Re: floating trusts Date: 10/19/1999 3:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am aware of a few royalty trusts--in oil, timber, coal, iron ore--that are traded on the exchanges. These unit trusts offer very high yields--often in the 10-15% range. However, risks are high. Often you lose all or part of your principle. Sometimes your dividends more than make up for the loss.

There probably are numerous other kinds of trusts, so get the details, and check them out before you decide.

Generally, if the $5K is a small portion of your assets, OK maybe a trust is a reasonable way to diversify. Otherwise, if the money is dear to you, the risk is too high. For $5K, CD's or bonds that mature when you will need the money make more sense.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement