Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41151  
Subject: Flu vax?? Date: 1/8/2013 3:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If not, you might want to get it.....looks set to be a bumper year.

If you can't or don't care bother and don't get the 'flu anyway....you're welcome!

As always, happy to be of service.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: medgoddess Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38163 of 41151
Subject: Re: Flu vax?? Date: 1/8/2013 3:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I was on call last weekend...this part of Ohio has a massive amount of it going around. Decided Tamiflu needs to be OTC. ;)

Kristi

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38164 of 41151
Subject: Re: Flu vax?? Date: 1/8/2013 4:13 PM
Well, the way I look at the flu shot now is that, although I've never had the 'flu and although the prospect of getting the 'flu doesn't really bother me that much (seeing as I don't know what I don't know), there are folk out there (like my dh's patients.....or family members of those who read this forum) who are tremendously vulnerable to infections such as this.

I get the 'flu shot more for them than for myself.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38166 of 41151
Subject: Re: Flu vax?? Date: 1/8/2013 9:16 PM
I don't understand. They are telling us that this year the vaccine targets the right virus. But then they tell us we are having far more flu cases than usual.

How can this be? What fraction of the population gets vaccinated?

Author: medgoddess Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38167 of 41151
Subject: Re: Flu vax?? Date: 1/8/2013 10:47 PM
Not a lot - had a large number of patients refuse the vaccine.

Got my family vaccinated. Those folks who catch it are miserable! Around here, it's predominately the A strain, which is susceptible to Tamiflu (caveat - this is local viral info, may not be in your area).

L&D was pissed at me for having several in house - they were all dehydrated, getting IVF.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38171 of 41151
Subject: Re: Flu vax?? Date: 1/9/2013 5:38 AM
I don't understand. They are telling us that this year the vaccine targets the right virus. But then they tell us we are having far more flu cases than usual.

In addition to the relatively limited numbers getting their flu shots, even when predictiions on the strain of flu bugs thaat're likely to be going around are accurate not everyone who gets a shot mounts an adequate immune response. That's why immunisation programmes have to be part of a widespread public health measure in order to be successful......so that a high "herd" immunity protects those who can't or don't get their shots and also those who do but who're still compromised. Lots of immunised people walking around means a smaller chance of being coughed on by someone contagious.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38178 of 41151
Subject: Re: Flu vax?? Date: 1/16/2013 12:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
I don't understand. They are telling us that this year the vaccine targets the right virus.

I thought that this statement was correct initially (else, you know I would've felt an obligation to correct it!) but I fancy that the flu vaccine isn't any more effective acroos the board than in previous years.......maybe about 70%

We have something of an emergency situation up here in the Boston area. Pretty much all emergency beds are filled in the the Longwood hospitals (those are the Harvard centers of excellence) and, owing to low herd immunity, medical personnel are falling prey also.

Hope everyone reading this thread is making the appropriate contribution to public health

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement