No. of Recommendations: 10
A while back Fly Lady was all the rage on these boards. (http://www.flylady.net/) She has a website, and an email list, where she will email you reminders several times a day.

I subscribed to the reminders for about three days, and I did not respond well to them. But a year or so later I realize that there are still a number of habits that I've kept from her system, so I thought I would share them and why they work for me.

I do recommend trying Fly Lady for anyone who is overwhelmed and would like someone to tell them how to start increasing order.

- Have a morning routine
A sense of accomplishment in the morning gets me through the next few hours. I spend about half an hour waking up with the computer, then empty the dishwasher, water the cats, clean the sink, and get ready for the day.

- Get dressed to the shoes
It makes a difference to me because I get more done when I have shoes on. Go figure.

- Clean the sink daily
If I don't do it every day, I don't do it, and sometimes it gets really gross, so I don't want to do anything with the sink. Some mornings I clean it more thoroughly than others, but I do swipe it almost every day. It helps that I recently replaced the sink so I want to keep it looking this way.

- Baby steps.
Changing habits takes time, patience, and consistency. I have to take pleasure in my small accomplishments and look at what I'm doing now as opposed to what I have left to do. I've finally figured out that I can get things done doing a little bit every day.

- The first thing you have to do is declutter.
Cleaning is so much easier when I don't have to start by moving stuff all of the time. And I'm happier now that more of my items are worthwhile.

- Do laundry one load at a time.
She has laundry as part of the daily routine, but luckily I don't have that much. I didn't mind doing the laundry many loads at a time, but I would take days to get around to putting it away. So now I do one load on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and put it away by the end of the evening. No more piles of clean laundry.

- You can do anything for 15 minutes.
Whenever I really really don't want to do something I set the timer for 15 minutes. There are a number of reasons this works for me. It's hard for me to get started some days. Some tasks I have to do are boring and I dread every minute; knowing that the timer will set me free helps. Some tasks are overwhelming and I don't want to tackle them in part, so the timer helps me focus on the most urgent spot in a room, for example.

- Work on your disaster area, just a little.
I've modified this a bit. Every day I deal with one thing that has been bothering me. Sometimes it's something small. Other times it's something big. But it's always something that gives me a knot in my stomach. And I've learned that I can clean up any mess, but I have to start.

What tips do other people use (from FlyLady or other sources)?

-Megan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement