Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: putnid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19140  
Subject: Re: Fixed-income Value Investing Date: 12/5/2012 12:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Folks who wanna trade in distressed debt or broken, screwed up companies are speculators.

Seriously?
- Hohum777

Yes. Seriously. I'm speaking from the perspective of an average retail investor. My research capabilities are limited (just me and 24-hours in a day). I don't have a research staff. I don't have personal contacts with industry insiders. I can't pick up the phone and get insights from people who definitively know what's happening inside specific companies.

I'm no Warren Buffett or Seth Klaman or Howard Marks. In fact, it would be disastrous if I came to think I was magically in their league.

I invest within the comfort range afforded to me by the information available to me.

It's good to know one's limitations. It's generally true that it's folly to believe one can outsmart the truly "smart money." I'm a conservative investor because I understand my limitations.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement