Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Following up to the earlier post about Roth vs. 403(b), I have a very generous 403(b) program with TIAA-CREF (I have to give 4.5%, my employer gives 11%). However, I'd like to be able to use those savings possibly toward buying a house several years down the road (I'm 29 now) and the TIAA-CREF advisor recommended I open an SRA with them, for all additional income.

Can anyone offer wisdom on if an SRA is the best route for that?

No, it's not! I have an SRA (which I no longer contribute to), and I've checked into the withdrawal rules and you currently cannot withdraw that money unless you leave your job. So if a house is a goal, the Roth is the better option. But that will only allow you to use $10,000 toward a house. You'll need more than that, so I would suggest putting your additional savings (after you've maxed out the employer match in the 403b and after you've maxed out your Roth) into a normal taxable account.

The SRA does have advantages as a retirement savings vehicle--the tax-deferred status and the ease of making contributions through payroll deduction, and TIAA-CREF has good funds--but it won't do you any good for buying a house, unless you've left your job by that point. I've found the extra flexibility of the Roth to be an advantage. If you think there's any chance at all that you might want to invest in individual stocks in the future, then go with the Roth, since you would be able to do that. I never thought I would want to when I opened my SRA 8 years ago, but now I want to and it's frustrating to me that I can't get at that money.

John
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement