Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
foo1bar -

I'd probably go with in-his-name for first 10-12 years, then pay his expenses from that account, and set aside the same $ in your own name in a separate account.

thanks for the response. i want to make sure i understand the comment you made above...

so potentially use a regular trading account in childs name for the first 10-12 years of my 15-17 year time horizon and then... by pay his expenses are referring to the cap gains and dividend taxes?? because he wouldn't start college for probably another 3-5 years. so after 10-12 years transfer the money to an account in my name??

i think i might be misunderstanding your comment so if you wouldn't mind expanding on it for me that would be greatly appreciated!

Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.