Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

<<<The UGMA money is already your son's, so you are not making a contribution and there is no deduction for you.>>>

"True - but the UGMA money can pay for Junior's summer camp (and other items), instead of mom and dad - and mom and dad can instead use their money to make a contribution to the 529.
(Assuming that you're not reaching max 529 contribution amount already)"

In that scenario the UGMA money is not tranferred to the 529, right?

"I would guess a lot of people with teenagers could find $4k of expenses that are "for the use and benefit of the minor" "

And that are not expenses that parents are rwequired to pay.

I am not near my regular computers, and you probably should elaborate for the OP.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.