No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey all,

I've finally decided to get off my arse and start a Roth IRA at a discount broker. Then I find out that all commissions for online trades MUST come from the IRA account itself and cannot be paid for separately (i.e. credit card or personal check). At least 2 online brokerages (DLJDirect and Fidelity) have told me that this is just the way IRAs work. Has this been the case for others out there?

I was incredulous when I first heard eats into my compound growth!! Fool-Four trading every 18 months at $20 a trade (DLJ rates) is insane. I guess IRAs are better suited for mutual funds...which brings me to my other questions.

Is the Fool-Four investment method really suited for self-directed Roth/Regular IRAs?

Or should I just bite the bullet and pay beyond the $2k limit (maybe $50 extra a year), take the penalty hit, and move on?

Just what is the tax penalty on the excess amount? Do they just tax the excess or the entire sum?

This whole process has been quite annoying. :P

Thanks for any help,

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.