UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Richard612 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75378  
Subject: Fool-ifying my employer Date: 9/13/1998 10:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It seems that I'm not the only one with a 401k plan that has a not-so-great basket of mutual funds to pick from.

I see that the standard Foolish Thing is to consider reducing 401k participation and then using the extra money for self-directed common stock purchases.

Instead, has anyone ever confronted their company's 401k administrator and poured a can of Fool in their lap? Would the process of making new funds available to participants have any reasonable comparison to mating elephants(*)?

Fidelity seems to have a couple of real humdingers (like FDCPX with its hot tech stocks or FSPHX with its hot health care holdings), and we get to choose from BIG FAT BLOATED COWS like the 74 BAZILLION dollar Magellan, which Robert Stansky could use for the purchase of some small country, were he permitted to do so.

Would the employer balk at offering high beta funds because we'd be bouncing our money around too much? Does Fidelity charge employers more for offering more volatile funds that encourage more shifting around (at Fidelity's expense, I might add)? Would I stand to gain more by discussing my 401k with my cat? What is the maximum airspeed velocity of a stock certificate when folded into a paper-plane?

RM
-------------

(*) The mating of Elephantidae has three notable characteristics:

a. It's done at a very high level.

b. There's enough kicking and screaming involved that you certainly don't want to be underfoot or within earshot when it occurs.

c. It takes 22 months to produce results.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement