UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brenjg Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 266692  
Subject: foolish four approach Date: 10/9/2012 1:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I have a question about the Foolish Four approach - I was reading recently in Investopedia that you recommend in your approach to put down 40% for the 1st stock of the final four (once I've narrowed it down to four)and then 20% to the final three...is that correct? In your workbook it seems like the approach is to put equal amounts down for each of the final four on your list? Which is it?

Thanks for any help,
Brenna
Print the post Back To Top
Author: colbyhouse Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259451 of 266692
Subject: Re: foolish four approach Date: 10/9/2012 2:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The Foolish Four is no longer endorsed by TMF and has been disproven - come on over to the 'Mechanical Investing' board for info on some other profitable screens that have been developed by fellow Fools: http://boards.fool.com/mechanical-investing-100093.aspx?mid=... .

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259455 of 266692
Subject: Re: foolish four approach Date: 10/9/2012 6:12 PM
The Foolish Four (and later Foolish Eight) premise was that most of the gains of the S&P 500 could be secured by owning the four main contributors to the index. Doing so allows you owns the stocks and not pay expense ratios.

That seemed to work for a while during the dot com boom, but in time the tracking faded. Hence, Foolish Four is in some of the older Motley Fool postings but is no longer recommended.

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259456 of 266692
Subject: Re: foolish four approach Date: 10/9/2012 11:08 PM
As others have indicated, the Foolish Four is no longer endorsed nor discussed at TMF. Regarding the discrepancy you pointed out, this was two variations of the approach.
There is still a FF message board at http://boards.fool.com/foolish-four-100081.aspx?mid=29960074... but, it doesn't get many postings. If you are interested is this mechanical system you might want to look at the FF board's FAQ at http://boards.fool.com/the-unauthorized-dow-faq-and-compendi...
The FF was a version of the Dogs of the Dow which selected ten stocks from the DJIA. More information about it can be found at http://www.dogsofthedow.com/

Bob

Author: brenjg Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259484 of 266692
Subject: Re: foolish four approach Date: 10/13/2012 7:12 PM
Thanks for the tip ColbyHouse! Glad I did not actually invest yet...

Author: brenjg Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259485 of 266692
Subject: Re: foolish four approach Date: 10/13/2012 7:14 PM
Thanks for the info. on this...I'll keep reading - obviously I've been reading some very old information...

Author: brenjg Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259486 of 266692
Subject: Re: foolish four approach Date: 10/13/2012 7:15 PM
Thanks Bob for the tips. I'll read more on these links!!

Author: PeterLincoln Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259649 of 266692
Subject: Re: foolish four approach Date: 11/16/2012 7:36 PM
Hi,

F4 and F5 actually do work a lot but they don't work all the time. Nothing works all the time.

I rather suspect that if you do F4/5 now you will wind up with a nice dividend but not much else.

p

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement