Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: Re: Use 401K as collateral? Date: 8/4/2011 12:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
FoolishMiser,

On option 1, capital gains do not apply. All withdrawals are ordinary income.

Although I have never heard of what you propose in option 2, I believe you will still be paying taxes on the withdrawal.

Remember, an IRA, 401K and other qualified plans are somewhat like separate people for taxes. When they pay you, any withdrawal, it is taxable as standard income. The exception is the post-tax contributions. These cannot be targeted for withdrawal and a portion of them are mixed with the taxable withdrawals each year until only taxable remains.

Also, once you reach 70 1/2, RMD's will kick in and you will be forced to withdraw a certain percentage of the balance each year.

Of course, Roth IRA's do not have any of this tax/RMD business.

You can rollover the 401K account to a Traditional IRA without paying tax, but the same basic rules apply to withdrawals. IRS Pub 590 is for IRA's.

You may want to talk with a fee-only planner to get a complete picture about how to best manage this. $300 or $500 spent now can save a lot of problems in the future.

Another thing to consider is the annual expenses and how accurate your number is. I started planning for retirement using almost double what we ended up paying in reality.

Gene
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement