No. of Recommendations: 0
FoolishProf asks:

<<In a previous thread someone asked a similar question to mine: Can 401k and 403b funds be moved to a SEP IRA?

However, the details of when one qualifies were not covered. That is, does one have to be:

a) 59.5?

b) Separated from the organization providing the 403b or 401k?

c) All of the above?

d) None of the above?

I understand the bit about "tainting" the funds going into the SEP IRA. But I would like to know more about qualifying.>>

Age doesn't matter for transferring plan money to an IRA, but current employment does. In general, you cannot be working for the plan sponsor at the time of the transfer. Therefore, answer "b" is the extent of your qualification assuming you are now self-employed and have a SEP-IRA. Actually, it's the same answer even if it's just a typical traditional IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.