UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RecoveringFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Fools' Age Date: 8/19/1997 11:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm enjoying following this board but I'm wondering about the average age of people posting (really none of my business but I deal in demographic statistics professionally so curiousity is getting the better of me). My theory is that the people here are astute and DID start early on retirement saving. I'll even be brave and go first ! I'm recently 43 and saved my first retirement dollar at 24.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Goodwin Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/19/1997 12:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm 29, and I started saving about age 23 for 6 months in a 401k. Then I started at a company that did not have any qualified plans, and I didn't know about IRAs and such. Took a break for a couple years and started again around 25-26.

When people ask me at what age I want to retire, I tell them that I'm already retired and just working for the fun of it. Try it! Makes getting out of bed a little easier on some days.

Lisa

Author: Jeremy One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 196 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/19/1997 1:56 PM
<<
I'm 29, and I started saving about age 23 for 6 months in a 401k. Then I started at a company that did not have any qualified plans, and I didn't know about IRAs and such. Took a break for a couple years and started again around 25-26.

When people ask me at what age I want to retire, I tell them that I'm already retired and just working for the fun of it. Try it! Makes getting out of bed a little easier on some days.

Lisa
>>

I'm 21 and still in college. I've got a full time job and I've just started saving for my retirement in an IRA. My company offers a 401k plan, but right now I'd prefer to use an IRA. My employer doesn't match funds until one year of service. I hope to retire around age 40 :) I think I should be able to retire around 50 if I save around 15% of my salary.

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 197 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/19/1997 5:55 PM
Greetings, jstirn, and welcome to Fooldom.

<<I'm enjoying following this board but I'm wondering about the average age of people posting (really none of my business but I deal in demographic statistics professionally so curiousity is getting the better of me). My theory is that the people here are astute and DID start early on retirement saving. I'll even be brave and go first ! I'm recently 43 and saved my first retirement dollar at 24.>>

Can't speak but for myself; however, I'm a mere stripling of 29. The fact I have two daughters older than me is their problem, not mine.

Regards.......Pixy

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 199 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/19/1997 6:02 PM
Greetings, Jeremy, and welcome to Fooldom.

<< I hope to retire around age 40 :) I think I should be able to retire around 50 if I save around 15% of my salary.>>

Save 15% per year, take a modicum of risk, and you just may be able to hit 45 anyway! :-) I commend you for taking this view early on in your career. You'll never regret it when you reach my advanced state at age 29.

Regards....Pixy

Author: bacon Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 201 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/19/1997 10:34 PM
I'll jump in--I'm 48, and saved my first retirement dollar at 29. Unfortunately, I didn't save my second retirement dollar for another 5 years after that....

Eric Hines

Author: rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 203 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/20/1997 10:38 AM

<<I'm enjoying following this board but I'm wondering about the average age of people posting ....>>

<< Can't speak but for myself; however, I'm a mere stripling of 29. The fact I have two daughters older than me is their problem, not mine. Pixy>>

I'm 35. More precisely, I have 15 years experience at being 35. When friend wife asks me how it is that she gets older but I don't, I just tell her to study X-Files a bit more closely.

Ray

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 204 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/20/1997 5:16 PM
<<I just tell her to study X-Files a bit more closely.>>

Yo, Ray.

LOL. Yep....The truth's out there alright! And I'm fast getting to the 30th anniversary of the 29th b'day, too. Ain't life just one grand mystery?

Pixy

Author: jabberwock One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 205 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/21/1997 5:53 PM
<<I'm enjoying following this board but I'm wondering about the average age of people posting (really none of my business but I deal in demographic statistics professionally so curiousity is getting the better of me). My theory is that the people here are astute and DID start early on retirement saving. I'll even be brave and go first ! I'm recently 43 and saved my first retirement dollar at 24.>>

Okay, picture it--May 1996. A formerly fresh-eyed, 23-year-old law student sits bewildered before an income-tax casebook. His eyes are glazed, his brain is stuck in neutral, and his hands are shaking from too much caffeine. It's two days before the exam, and he's desperately searching for the magic key that will pull everything all together.

Suddenly, his eye lights on the heading, "The Time Value of Money." Intrigued, he reads on and remembers everything he once learned in calculus about compound interest and power series. A stray thought enters his mind--"Money can grow so fast..." Feverishly, he flips pages to read over all the tax strategies involving dividends and interest and capital gains.

The heavens part. Gabriel his own bad self trumpets into our hero's ear and shouts, "WAKE UP!!!!!" Long story short, 2 weeks later I aced the tax exam and bought my first book of finance ever--_Get_A_Financial_Life_ by Beth Kobliner. (A very Foolish place for utter novices to start, by the way.) Right now, I save everything I possibly can and test out various stock strategies to see which ones work for me. (Dynamic Healthcare Technologies I picked using our Bible, the MFIG--thanks, Fools!)

Yes, you too can go from tossing the Business section to get to the comics, to haranguing everyone you meet about debt-to-equity ratios, in only one year! I'm trying to spread the gospel to my family as well, who have likened the stock market to Las Vegas, except maybe Las Vegas has better odds.

All best,
Dave

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 211 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/23/1997 9:52 AM
<I'm enjoying following this board but I'm wondering about the average age of people posting (really none of my business but I deal in demographic statistics professionally so curiousity is getting the better of me). My theory is that the people here are astute and DID start early on retirement saving. I'll even be brave and go first ! I'm recently 43 and saved my first retirement dollar at 24.>

I am 59 and saved my first retirement dollar at about age 30. It was in Aerospace Science Fund, and no longer have any of it (I do not think it exists any longer). I am sure it was a stellar performer until I put my money into it. I got 19 shares of AT&T at a slight discount because I worked for them, and one thing lead to another. I did not start managing it myself until August 20, 1996. Since then, its IRR has been about 23%, but that is in part because it has some savings bonds, some Swiss francs, and a few US Gold arts medallions in it to make me feel comfortable. I consider the Swiss francs and the gold as insurance, not investments (they would be lousy investments most of the time). The rest of the stuff has done well:
+42% IRR for my Emotional portfolio, +31% for my Foolish Four, +464% for my MoneyHeavy portfolio (very short time base, so not realistic), and +35.61% for my UG5.

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 212 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/23/1997 10:05 AM
<Yes, you too can go from tossing the Business section to get to the comics, to haranguing everyone you meet about debt-to-equity ratios, in only one year! >

Actually, like a Zen experience, you can go from tossing the Business section to get to the comics, to haranguing everyone you meet about debt-to-equity ratios in only one year, to tossing the Business section to get to the comics.

Because, after a while, the Business section will seem pretty funny, especially the talking heads, astrologers of finance, and so on. Right now, I am not quite there. I read IBD, but their articles and editorials are so nasty as far as common decency is concerned that I believe they are secretly subsidized by a manufacturer of blood-pressure and tranqualizer medications. It is not yet funny for me, but I hope to learn.

Author: jabberwock One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 216 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/25/1997 5:07 PM
<<Because, after a while, the Business section will seem pretty funny, especially the talking heads, astrologers of finance, and so on.>>

Actually, it already is for me. When the market took a dip last week... ummmm, must have been 15 August, does that sound right?... the papers the next day were full of gloom and doom and predictions of a 1929/1987 rehash.

I celebrated by sending a check to my DRIP and partied like it's 1999, like any Fool would. And Elaine Garzarelli and the Rydex Ursa managers can [censored] my [censored] [censored].

Dave Tepper

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 219 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/25/1997 7:17 PM
Yo, Dave.

<< And Elaine Garzarelli and the Rydex Ursa managers can [censored] my [censored] [censored].>>

LOL. At least you were polite and I didn't have to have your missive yanked for offensiveness. :-)

Regards.....Pixy

Author: warhammer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 249 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 8/28/1997 5:28 PM
I started investing at 25 (457 Account & IRA). I put about 25% away a year. I am currenly 27

Author: SmittieFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5526 of 76237
Subject: Re: Fools' Age Date: 9/21/1998 11:07 AM
Hi RF,

I am 29, and started investing dollar one at age 21. Spent the last few years getting out of college debt and I haven't really started aggressively saving for retirement until just this year.

Cheers--Staci

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement