UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DonMcCrady Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 266469  
Subject: Fools in Canada Date: 4/5/1997 9:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This is without a doubt the finest collection of investing knowledge on the planet. Just about every axon in my brain that holds investing knowledge was fired by this site and your book.

However, all of the information here is only directly applicable to US stocks. While we understand that you do not recommend Americans investing in non-US equities, as a Canadian, I don't have as much choice. Many Canadians do their investing under the tax-deferring umbrella of their RRSP's (with a 13500 annual contribution limit, these are a lot more useful than US IRA's). By law, the asset mix in an RRSP must be at least 80% Canadian, leaving 20% for foreign content.

The Motley fool, therefore, helps me about 20% of the time, leaving me 80% to scrounge around for myself.

Could there be a place on this site for Canadian Fools? I would not even be offended if we were relegated to the "51st state" in your "50 states" board.

Best regards, and keep up the great work.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DavidGardner Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 4/5/1997 9:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
On Sat, 05 Apr 97 09:25:30 -0600, DonMcCrady wrote:
<<This is without a doubt the finest collection of investing knowledge on the planet. Just about every axon in my brain that holds investing knowledge was fired by this site and your book.>>

Wow, Don... thanks!

<<However, all of the information here is only directly applicable to US stocks. While we understand that you do not recommend Americans investing in non-US equities, as a Canadian, I don't have as much choice.... Could there be a place on this site for Canadian Fools?>>

We do anticipate expanding our content internationally in 1997, although as of this moment we have enough under our belts domestically. As the business continues to grow, though, we would like to hear from any Canadians who might be interested in helping us start up a Canadian version of The Fool. If you are any others are interested in contributing, drop me a line at DavidG@fool.com.

Again, this isn't going to happen in the next couple of months, but we are looking down the line to our inevitable global investing areas. And Canada makes sense.

So please bear with our American focus for a bit. :)

David Gardner, Fool

Author: Kungfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 4/12/1997 3:49 AM
Recommendations: 0
On Sat, 05 Apr 97 21:59:33 -0600, DavidGardner wrote:
<<On Sat, 05 Apr 97 09:25:30 -0600, DonMcCrady wrote:

<<This is without a doubt the finest collection of investing knowledge on the planet. Just about every axon in my brain that holds investing knowledge was fired by this site and your book.>>

Wow, Don... thanks!

<<However, all of the information here is only directly applicable to US stocks. While we understand that you do not recommend Americans investing in non-US equities, as a Canadian, I don't have as much choice.... Could there be a place on this site for Canadian Fools?>>

We do anticipate expanding our content internationally in 1997, although as of this moment we have enough under our belts domestically. As the business continues to grow, though, we would like to hear from any Canadians who might be interested in helping us start up a Canadian version of The Fool. If you are any others are interested in contributing, drop me a line at DavidG@fool.com.

Again, this isn't going to happen in the next couple of months, but we are looking down the line to our inevitable global investing areas. And Canada makes sense.

So please bear with our American focus for a bit. :)

David Gardner, Fool

>> The idea of starting a Canadian Fool is quite exciting and I, for one, would be happy to help in any way I could. The Canadian stock market is going to be a wonderful ride for a long time to come. A full THIRD (9.8 million) of our population (28 million) are "babyboomers"(born between 1946 &1961 or so).Compared to U.S. figures, our boom was 10% bigger per capita, and is 5 years younger. The effect this will have on our market will be very significant. These boomers are now realizing that they need to start socking away some savings. In order to be eligible for their RRSP tax shelter, 80% of those savings must be in Canadian investments, be they stocks, funds, or whatever. Now, any Fool knows, as well as most Canadians, the only legitimate exchange in Canada is the TSE. So where will these suddenly thrifty Canucks start to stash their bucks? My mouth waters when I think of all these making up for lost time and maxing out their RRSP contributions. They are creating an investment wave I plan on surfin' all the way in to shore. Our U.S. and Canadian Stock markets are sitting where the Japanese markets were about 20 years ago and stand poised for an even better ride. I'ma feelin' mighty bullish. I would love to hear how you feel your demographics are driving your markets and what you feel about my ravings Kungfool in Canada eh.

Author: calste Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 4/17/1997 1:56 PM
<<This is without a doubt the finest collection of investing knowledge on the planet. Just about every axon in my brain that holds investing knowledge was fired by this site and your book.

However, all of the information here is only directly applicable to US stocks. While we understand that you do not recommend Americans investing in non-US equities, as a Canadian, I don't have as much choice. Many Canadians do their investing under the tax-deferring umbrella of their RRSP's (with a 13500 annual contribution limit, these are a lot more useful than US IRA's). By law, the asset mix in an RRSP must be at least 80% Canadian, leaving 20% for foreign content.

The Motley fool, therefore, helps me about 20% of the time, leaving me 80% to scrounge around for myself.

Could there be a place on this site for Canadian Fools? I would not even be offended if we were relegated to the '51st state' in your '50 states' board.

>>

Author: calste Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 4/17/1997 2:23 PM
<<This is without a doubt the finest collection of investing knowledge on the planet. Just about every axon in my brain that holds investing knowledge was fired by this site and your book.

Could there be a place on this site for Canadian Fools? I would not even be offended if we were relegated to the '51st state' in your '50 states' board.

>>I to am a Canadian who got interested in the Foolish way
to invest,but I decided to jump right in and invest in the
U.S. markets IE: Unemotional Value4. I chose to cash in my
RRSP's (and pay the taxes),I then had to convert to U.S.
dollars (another chunk of money). What was left I invested
just before the "correction" so right now it does'nt look
too good but I'm not worried I'm in for the long haul,
In fact I am getting ready to invest some more into a Growth
stratagey. The only problem so far is getting the data
needed from U.S. newspapers,periodicals and such. Where I
live that stuff is not available. If a Canadian version of
the Foolish stratagies were available I would be interested
only because the Info would be readily available. So far
as a Canadian investing in the U.S. markets I have no regrets.I would'nt call myself a true FOOL but I'm learning and I'm having fun doing so.
Sorry to ramble on, but I just wanted to tell you of my
U.S. investing experiences thus far.

So Far So Good
R.

Author: DonMcCrady Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 196 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 4/27/1997 2:41 PM
On Thu, 17 Apr 97 14:23:38 -0600, calste wrote:
>>I to am a Canadian who got interested in the Foolish way

just before the 'correction' so right now it does'nt look

as a Canadian investing in the U.S. markets I have no regrets.I would'nt call myself a true FOOL but I'm learning and I'm having fun doing so.

So Far So Good

R.

>>

Why on earth would you jump out of the Canadian market, especially from your RRSP? Canadian vs US markets aside, you're losing on taxes BIG TIME: even if your RRSP investments appreciate by 0%, you still knock off up to 13.5% off your taxable salary. For me, this yields a tax return of about 10% of my income. This means that my non-RRSP investments have to return 10% to equal the value of an RRSP investment that returns nothing.

You shouldn't sell the Canadian stock market short. I believe the TSE300 outperformed the S&P500 last year, and is expected to do so in the near future. As a Canadian, there are definite advantages to investing in Canadian stocks. By all means, use your tax return to invest in non-RRSP stocks, which can be US if you like. And by all means maximize your foreign content limit within your RRSP and buy US stocks.

The Motley Fool is still a good place to look for investement advice, even if it focuses on the US market. A lot of what's here, including the Dow-divident yield investment approach and Foolish Four, are directly transferable to the TSE35.

Author: TimPacker Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 203 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 4/27/1997 9:25 PM
On Thu, 17 Apr 97 14:23:38 -0600, calste wrote:
<<I to am a Canadian who got interested in the Foolish way

just before the 'correction' so right now it does'nt look

So Far So Good

R.

>>

From another Foolish Canadian Investor, althought whats done is done, you might have wanted to look at keeping you money in your Canadian RRSP's and starting a separate fund for that wonderful Foolish US market to the South. Keep in mind that not only are your initial RRSP contributions Tax free but so are the capital gains you make with them. This in itself gives investment funds a powerful leg up. I'm fairly certain that you US funds will be taxable. If they were in your Canadian RRSP they would have been tax free (an additional 15 to 50% growth). RRSP are a fantastic investment shelter.

I've kept funds in my RRSP'S, and also have a Non RRSP Canadian discount brokage account, with I buy US equities. Just another perspective, but hope it helps.

Keep on having fun.

Tim

Author: flyer999 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 254455 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 12/16/2010 4:11 PM
hi fellow Canadian Fool the foreign content rule does not apply anymore.

regards Phil

Author: alanjai Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 256720 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 9/25/2011 11:13 AM
I would love this to happen! In the meantime though how about just adding a page with some US/CA similarities and differences in the markets?
As an example: What's the Canadian equivalent of a 401K?

Author: mrshastri Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257756 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 2/12/2012 5:05 AM
As an Albertan Canadian I invest half of my portfolio in Rule Breakers and the other half in Canadian Blue chips.

Author: Suzeomm Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258671 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 6/11/2012 6:31 PM
Hi Don,
I would really like to see more ideas for Canadians, as well! I sometimes check out a site with Canadian advisors. An interesting stock I found recently is CDPYF. It is an apartment reit. It seems to be growing with a minimum of volatility, too!
Susan

Author: Quillnpenn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258672 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 6/11/2012 11:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
http://boards.fool.com/canada-general-100170.aspx

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rPD1m0Q...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4xHRrar...

http://etf.stock-encyclopedia.com/category/etfs-listed-in-ca...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mfM0LDA...

Quillnpenn -

Author: thx1038 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258687 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 6/14/2012 4:01 AM
Im canadian.

I just invested my 100% of my RRSP stocks in US companies. What now?!

Author: TwoFour24 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259152 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 8/31/2012 4:30 PM
Hi. GS is good value in, not just my opinion. Gluskin Sheff & Associates manages $5.5 billion and David Rosenberg is their Chief Economist (he was in New York for years as Merril Lynch's chief economist)

The dividend is around 4.7%.

Crescent Point Energy may be a good long term buy.

TD Bank has over 1,300 branches now...more in the US than in Canada. they have made great stride on the entire east coast of the US.They have been buying discounted assets in the US, including Chrysler credit, and will benefit significantly over time. They are the 5th largest auto loan provider in the US too.

Wesport Innovations -WPRT-may be one to watch. The Fool likes it...BC based company.

Author: need2invest101 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259615 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 11/12/2012 7:27 PM
Hi fools,
I've been a member of motley fool since August,I'm a Englishman living in canada, how did you invest your RRSP's in US companies, i mean how did you go about it.
I don't know too much about investing just that i need to start doing something now.
Also i'm reading a book by jason kelly about investing and one thing i hope someone can help with, talking about Warren Buffett and he writes, Buffett determines the value of a company by projecting it's future cash flows and discounting them back to the present with the rate of long-term U.S government bonds...does anyone have any idea how to go about that.

Author: Stephdgs Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259665 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 11/19/2012 12:55 AM
Hi Don,

I can't disagree, the MF community and the boards here are incredible. I was a relatively dormant member of the community for a long while as a student and more recently took up a larger interest as I paid off student debt and I had a larger disposable income. I joined the Stock Advisor service and listen to the podcasts (market foolery and motley fool money) daily. Always a good time and very educational.

One thing I do disagree with is your statement about foreign content. As Phil said in his post, the foreign content limit is no longer applicable for Canadian RRSPs. It hasn't been that way since 2005, which may seem recent depending on how long you've been investing. The good news is your past 7 years worth of RRSP contribution room could be 100% US equity if you wanted :) https://secure.globeadvisor.com/servlet/ArticleNews/story/ga...

That doesn't mean that there aren't good reasons to learn more about Canadian stocks. For example, RRSPs are exempt from the dividend tax withholding on US stocks, but Tax-Free Savings Accounts do not enjoy that same benefit. However, they are tax free from Canadian dividends and all capital gains (US and Canadian). For the Americans that dont understand, TFSAs are hands-down the best way to invest after-tax dollars, although the cap is still quite limited at $20k, $25k by Jan. I'd recommend reading the Ultimate TFSA Guide by Gordon Pape to learn more about the pros and cons of the account vs RRSPs, although I'm sure you could also google some good stuff.

In any case, feel absolutely free to invest Foolishly in stocks of your choosing, whether they be Canadian or US. :)

Stephen.

Author: Stephdgs Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259666 of 266469
Subject: Re: Fools in Canada Date: 11/19/2012 12:59 AM
Ah never mind, I carelessly replied based on the recency of the thread without realizing the original post was in 1997. Hah :)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement