Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57412  
Subject: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/16/2005 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
It's been so much fun having new Quitters here the last few weeks, even if it has been difficult to keep up at times. :)

Let's get prepared for the next wave of Quitters.

The idea of Fools Kicking Butts Day is simple. All we ask is that you make a commitment to stop smoking for ONE day. That day is Friday March 25. You have more than a week to prepare.

Reply to this post and commit to kick your butts for just a day. Feel free to hang out and lurk/post here before, during, and after 3/25, whether you are smoking or not. You're only committing to not smoke for one day, but you're always welcome here.

Take a minute to check out the FAQs, especially the FAQ supplement. There are some great tips if you want to continue not smoking after 3/25. You can also download a meter to track your progress at www.silkquit.org.

You'd be surprised how much fun being a Quitter can be... if you are amongst Fools.

Rebecca

Print the post Back To Top
Author: SoMch2Knw Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42279 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/16/2005 3:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Well, the current pack that has lead to my demise after 3 days will be gone by then...

So, I'm in!

Fool on!
Tye
... who has found that 'Timer' to be an interesting incentive!!
Thank you all

Author: brendan65 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42287 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/16/2005 8:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
Great idea Rebecca. Try quitting just for a day.

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42302 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/17/2005 1:43 PM
Recommendations: 7
Hi all. I saw Rebecca's post of the day.

I was so embarrassed after failing last time that I decided I would just keep it to myself, but I've never been able to keep my mouth shut so: Two months, one week, four days, 17 hours, 33 minutes and 55 seconds. 2121 cigarettes not smoked, saving $376.64. Life saved: 1 week, 8 hours, 45 minutes.

I haven't been nearly as miserable this time, but I am eating pistachios like they're going out of style. At $10 for 4 pounds, I don't think I'm saving anything. I've stayed with a low carb diet and haven't gained any weight...so far.

I wish all the wannabes a positive state of mind on March 25th. I work on mine one day at a time.

tngirl

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42304 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/17/2005 2:34 PM
tngirl,

Wow! It's been forever, hasn't it? It's nice to see you back.

Rebecca

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42305 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/17/2005 4:08 PM
Brin,

So happy you have returned and are encountering success on this go around. But, you know, if you fail you do not have withdraw from this Board. Maybe that is the time when you need us most.

So, stay in touch. Please.

Shelley

Author: standard888 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42306 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/17/2005 4:18 PM
This is a great idea!

I'm not and never have been a smoker--not that the stress doesn't drive me, but I've got respiratory stuff. But I wish everybody luck, because every one your DON'T smoke gives your body (and your wallet) a chance to recover just a little bit. Thank you!

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42307 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/17/2005 5:27 PM
Congratulations and best wishes on the Fools Kicking Butt Day next week!
I will pray for all who participate and who lurk.

I apologize for my 2 month tardiness when Helen e-mailed me and invited me to see what is happening on this board.

Nice to see so many new faces and "hello" to all of those who remember me when I was seeking counsel regarding my hubby who had smoked.

All my best.
Robyn

Author: Kez7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42311 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/17/2005 7:56 PM

HI! Brin, great to see you back & smober :o)

Gosh! - 2 ol' fav's of mine, coming out of the foolish woodwork to post here at QS again.

That's really cool!

March 25th should be an exciting day.

*HUGS*

KEZ

Author: Kez7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42312 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/17/2005 8:00 PM

pssssssssssst!!!....It's also Rebecca's Birthday :o)

KEZ

Author: vr5240 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42313 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/17/2005 8:48 PM
Kez,

Please clarify...Is it March 25 that's Rebecca's birthday? I promise not to tell a soul (heehee).

Sending birthday hugs and good wishes your way.

Verna

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42318 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/18/2005 9:48 AM
HI! Brin, great to see you back & smober :o)

Gosh! - 2 ol' fav's of mine, coming out of the foolish woodwork to post here at QS again.

Thanks Kerri!

Wow, you're to silver. Congrats. You seem much more upbeat. Keep up the good work!

Briny Heny

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42320 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/18/2005 1:18 PM
Recommendations: 3
March 25th is also Good Friday!! Ok, count me in on this "sacrifice" for one day without smoking!! I've tried and failed miserably before, but I think for just ONE day I can do it. Can I count on you guys for moral support next Friday, then?:)
Allison

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42321 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/18/2005 1:50 PM
Allison,

Great! I'm so glad you're going to give it a shot. You can do *anything* for just one day. Well, maybe. But you can definitely do *ANYTHING* for 15 minutes. Just quit for 15 minutes at a time all day long and you'll have it made. :)

And no matter what happens on Saturday, keep the board on your list of faves. We'll be here.

Rebecca

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42322 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/18/2005 1:52 PM
March 25th is also Good Friday!! Ok, count me in on this "sacrifice" for one day without smoking!! I've tried and failed miserably before, but I think for just ONE day I can do it. Can I count on you guys for moral support next Friday, then?:)
Allison

Absolutely, Allison!!!
But maybe you will like it and continue to not smoke. Well, the moral support shall go on as well. Just give it a try!
Heinz :o)

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42323 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/18/2005 3:05 PM
Yay Allison!

You will have moral support in spades next Friday and everyday. Glad that you posted and are taking that first step. You can do this ...... for just one day ...... maybe more.

Tiny baby steps.

Robyn

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42324 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/18/2005 3:12 PM
Sure you can, Allison! Next friday will be your Best Friday!

Then just for the heck of it, try suffering through Saturday and Sunday and voila! You're in a whole new life!

Cat

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42337 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 10:56 AM
Recommendations: 7

Warning: Long reply

Allison: No one has ever failed more miserably than I. I started smoking one summer while working construction so I would be cool with the guys (I was the 1st female ever hired and felt a great responsibility to prove that women could call names and kick butts too).

I've been trying to quit every since - I just turned 49. The longest I quit was almost a year (Aug 01 to July 02) with the moral support from this board. I know they got sick of my pissing and moaning, but no one ever complained. Then when a personal tragedy occurred, I turned to Mr. Nico to ease the pain.

Decided to get back on the wagon in July 03 http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19312822&sort=username

I ate a million banana popsicles to ease the withdrawals. Unfortunately by Thanksgiving I was in so much physical pain, most days I didn't care whether I lived or not - so why not at least enjoy Mr. Nico. Then I came across some info that I ran by my doctor. The test results showed I had a systemic yeast (Candida albicans) infection that was attacking every joint and tendon in my body. I have been off all forms of sugar since Jan. 04. Most of the pain is gone and I'm back to exercising.

When Phillips raised the priced of their cigs 15% in early Dec., everyone followed suit. The day I bought my last carton, the girl was marking up the prices of all the cigs even though they had been bought at a lower wholesale price. It pissed me off. She apologized that the price was higher. I replied, "That's okay, this is the last carton I'm gonna buy." The only cigs I like are Capri Ultra-lights.

I have 5 cigs left in a pack. I look at them every so often just to remind myself that I'm not going to pay almost $4 for a pack - cigs were 50¢ when I started smoking.

Positive thoughts, Allison. If I can do this girlfriend, you can too. Withdrawal is only 4 days of pure hell. I started on Wellburtin about 2 weeks before my quit. For me, Wellburtin makes cigs taste like sh!t and I get nauseous. I then took Xanax to sleep through most of the 4 days. On really bad days I'll take a Klonapin to calm my nerves.

Somewhere on the Silkquit site is the greatest explanation of why quitting is so hard from the author and creator of Silkquit. I highly recommend reading it. To successfully quit, you have to reprogram your subconscious. It's the subconscious which, after the withdrawals are over, that screams for just one more cig because nicotine is both a relaxer and a stimulant.

With this quit I've really focused more on the subconscious dilemma. When a craving hits, I literally (thank god I live alone) say out loud - "Just shut the f#$@ up," and take several deep breaths. It does pass.

I went through another crisis situation 3 weeks ago when my youngest sister tried committing suicide - again - and checked herself into a mental hospital. I've been on the phone with her constantly and she smokes like they're going out of style. Some days it is really difficult listening to her inhale (she had the nerve to tell me "Oh god this cig tastes so gooood") and remain calm. I want to light one up so bad to calm me down so I don't reach the phone line and slap the crap out of her for putting my aged parents and her husband through this. The only thing wrong with her is that she is a spoiled brat who craves attention.

Two months, one week, six days, 14 hours, 23 minutes and 42 seconds. 2177 cigarettes not smoked, saving $386.59. Life saved: 1 week, 13 hours, 25 minutes.

Brin

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42338 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 11:24 AM
Recommendations: 5
I will be with all of you who are trying to quit, or even just thinking and wishing they could, in sprit on March 25th and every other day.

I have been smoke free since 1988 and I was lucky to be in a "Quit smoking at work" group. If it helps anyone, where is what we did:

We made the commitment to TRY. TRY, because it is hard and because some take more then a first or second effort. TRY as often as you need to.

We supported our commitment at meetings and you can do that at this board. Looks like there is great support here.

We chose a specific day to TRY to quit. In your case here, you have March 25th.

The day before our quit day, we each went through our homes looking for all the matches, lighters, ashtrays, and whatever smokes (pipes & cigars included) we were using and put it all in a bag.

On quit day, we made a big deal about throwing it all away.

We then admitted to ourselves that smoking was an addition and we would have to TRY to give it up forever.

To all of you who will be trying, good wishes. To all of you who think about trying but are not ready yet, good for you for even considering it. That is the first step.

It can be hard for some, but it's not just money you save. I can smell wonderful things I couldn't before. Flowers, subtle aromas, and way summer and fall advent theirselves by their differences of scents. Yes, I gained but a doctor once told me that if I had to choose between smoking and dieting, give up the smoking. Would you believe I can even hear better too?

Good luck and best wishes in your efforts. And for those who need to keep trying; try, try again.

Author: vr5240 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42340 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 1:41 PM
Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.

I'm sorry too. DorMil I wish I could rec your post a thousnd times! Thanks for stopping by and sharing how you kicked butts. Lots of excellent suggestions in your post.

Please hang around and see how it all comes out on March 25, and then hang around to be part of this supportive group of people. You're so much like all the other "supporters" here. We'd love to have you here as a "regular".

Hugs.

Verna

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42342 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 5:54 PM
Hi Cat,
I'm ramping up till next Friday the big day!! No cigarettes at ALL on FRIDAY 3/25/05!! And, yes, if I can suffer through Sat and Easter SUnday I will TRY To do so and continue.....into a whole new life!
Thanks everyone on this board, you guys are GREAT!!:)

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42346 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 10:04 PM
This is really a timely message for me.

I have my quit day planned for March 27th because that's my birthday, and I am really going to try harder than ever to stop.

Then I see this message posted and read all the replies, so I'll move my quit date up to the 25th and give it a go with all you here to help.

Here's to hoping i'm over the crud I have now by then.

Countess

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42349 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 10:38 PM
Well Countess, this is definitely the place to be on the 25th.

Loads of people will be here to cheer you on and offer all the aids and support we can to help you make it through the day and hopefully beyond.

So, Welcome.

Shelley

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42350 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 10:39 PM
"Here's to hoping i'm over the crud I have now by then."

I'll second that.

And may you also be over the smoking crud after March 25th as well.

Look over the FAQs and think about the approach you want to use.

As a Countess, folks'll be counting on you to let them know how you
progress.

Howie52
I have a boat load of countess puns and I'm not afraid to use them
don cha know.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42352 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 11:13 PM
Countess,

YEAH!!! I'm glad you saw the message and that you're going to procede with your quit 2 days early. (On my birthday, actually...)

Rebecca

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42353 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 11:45 PM
Howie52
I have a boat load of countess puns and I'm not afraid to use them
don cha know.

Oh Howie,

If there wasn't a Count I think I'd come after you.

:D <weg>

CountessEvil

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42354 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/19/2005 11:47 PM
Rebecca, I think there is something creepy going on between us LOL
Like a parallel universe.

I named my daughter Rebecca, and now I find out (or is it just remember) that our birthdays are very close.........are you sure we aren't twins seperated at birth :)

Countess

counting down the days till she is smoke free.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42359 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 6:49 AM
I named my daughter Rebecca, and now I find out (or is it just remember) that our birthdays are very close.........are you sure we aren't twins seperated at birth :)
---------------

LOL Maybe... In which case quitting smoking should be genetically easier for you compared to some others. Part of what kept me going in the first few months was that other people were having such a hard time quitting but they were sticking with it. I had isolated AWFUL moments, but in comparison I was doing pretty good most of the time.

Now you really couldn't pay me to smoke. Not even one.

How old will you be? (I'll be 30.)

Rebecca
getting ready for a double birthday party

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42360 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 9:58 AM
How old will you be? (I'll be 30.)

Rebecca
getting ready for a double birthday party

I'll be 26. (and the sad thing is I had to use the calculator to figure that out) I've been thinking I'm turning 27 for a month now.

Countess

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42362 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 10:49 AM
Here's to hoping i'm over the crud I have now by then.

Poor Countess - I see you live in MS, too. My sympathies are with you. I had surgery on Feb. 21 and got the crude on the 23rd. I was so scared I was going to get pneumonia after I realized that unfortunately I was going to live. The surgeon put in a drain bulb. I felt so bad that instead of going back, I just cut the stitches holding it and took it out myself. I was also tired of my cats attacking it.

It lasts 3 weeks - my head finally cleared around the 16th. I never knew my head could produce so much...snot. I blew, I sucked, I spit. It was gross.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you on the 25th!

tngirl

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42363 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 10:50 AM
The crud was one of the methods that I used to quit smoking. I came down with a full blown case of the flu just after starting taking Wellbutrin 10 days before my quit date. The ill-effects of the flu combined with the side-effects of the Wellbutrin made the nicotine withdrawal feel like a beach holiday. As a prime reminder of my addiction, I have the memory of dragging myself out of my death bed with a 103 degree fever, barefoot with nothing on but a bathrobe and stepping outside into 17 degree weather to smoke. As Kerri wishes to be regular, I once wished to be normal but I guess I'll have to settle for being a non-smoker. Countess, I had set my quit date and I was not about to let anything except maybe death interfere with my plans.

Go for it!

Elliott

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42364 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 11:16 AM
Countess,

LOL There were several years when my automatic answer (in my head) was 23. I think I got back on track when I turned 27, although I wasn't completely aware that I wasn't 23 until last year when my little sister turned 23. We're six years apart... we can't both be 23! Now I think the only reason I know my age is because I'm hitting a milestone.

Being the freak that I am, I LOVE that I am turning 30. I've always loved getting a year older. My husband, sister, and mother are throwing me a 'surprise' party... I don't have to be surprised, I just have to be happy. Of course, with scheduling issues and Easter, etc, the party isn't going to be until 4/16. (Did I mention it's a surprise? I need to fire my party planners!)

Rebecca

Author: brendan65 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42366 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 11:43 AM
Countess and Rebecca,
The 27th is my birthday, too.

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42368 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 5:08 PM
Countess,
We can do it on the 25th!! Nice to know I have someone going through it at the same time (withdrawal from smoking)
Wish us both luck!!
Allison

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42376 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 8:28 PM
Countess and Rebecca,
The 27th is my birthday, too.

rock on brendan!!!!

yay, and congrats on your 28 days.

Crud has turned into sinus yuckyness. At least I'm not running a 100 degree fever anymore whohooo!

Countess

Oh and thanks for the good wishes everyone, I'm going to make it this time.

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42377 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 8:29 PM
Hey tngirl,

by the location in your profile I'm only about 20 to 25 minutes away from you.

That's really cool.

Countess

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42378 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/20/2005 8:31 PM
Allison,

it's going to be such an awsome thing.
I'm hoping for everyone to have maximum results.

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42386 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/21/2005 8:30 AM
it's going to be such an awsome thing.
I'm hoping for everyone to have maximum results.

A positive state of mind can slap nicotine into next week and kick butt on Thursday!

You go girl!

tn-ya ya-girl

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42392 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/21/2005 9:29 AM
Sign me up. Like a few other posters, I felt too embarrassed to come here when I fell off the wagon after six months off the butts.

Uhura

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42397 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/21/2005 10:19 AM
Uhura,

YEAH!

There is no reason to feel embarrassed. It's an addiction. It's takes a lot of work... AND it takes a lot of tries. I can name one person (Lumpy) who quit on her first try. (Is there another one? I think there is, actually.) I can name more people who started smoking after the age of 18 than I can people who quit on the first try. After 5+ years here I've known a LOT of Quitters.

Good luck on Friday. Keep posting. No matter what. When you're ready you'll quit. If you practice a few times first you'll just be that much more prepared when *the* quit comes around.

Rebecca
practice makes perfect... even for Quitters!

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42398 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/21/2005 10:26 AM
Oh and thanks for the good wishes everyone, I'm going to make it this time.
------------

I meant to reply to this yesterday, but I got distracted. (The only serious lingering side effect of quitting smoking.)

KNowing you're going to make it is probably THE thing that will make the difference. Check the FAQs (Especially the FAQ Supplement) for some other ideas.

Positive thinking. Doing instead of trying. Small mind games. These things all help.

Ask yourself how a nonsmoker would handle the situation that makes you want to smoke. Do that instead. (Figuring out the specifics is tough at first. Keep thinking about it until you answer the question or the urge passes.)

Tell yourself that you can smoke a cigarette if you get in your car and buy them with cash... But ONLY if this craving is worse than any other craving you've ever had. (IOW, don't borrow smokes from anyone else and don't give up on a minor craving after you've survived through worse.)

After the first couple of weeks your cravings will never be so bad again. Even when they're pretty awful at times. Just keep telling yourself that if you don't smoke you'll never have to quit again. That was a big one for me. The first couple of weeks were HORRIBLE and I didn't get a decent night's sleep for a month. I knew I'd quit again sometime if I started smoking again, but I really didn't want to have to go through that again. It's far easier to just stick with it once and for all.

Rebecca

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42422 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 2:36 AM
I'm in.
jC

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42424 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 6:40 AM
jC,

Cool. We're here to help.

Rebecca
3/25 is going to be SUCH an awesome day! ;)

Author: brendan65 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42427 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 7:36 AM
jC,
Great to have you on board! We would love to hear a little bit of your smoking story, if that is okay? There are a lot of people all over the world checking in at all hours of the day and night.

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42428 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 10:58 AM
Great having you with us, JC.

The more the merrier. New Quitters are the lifeblood of this board.

Shelley

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42429 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 12:58 PM
brendan,

named after the St Brendan who discovered the America's in a leather covered boat?
http://www.heritage.nf.ca/exploration/brendan.html

i started smoking about 17-18 to be "cool in school" , it was just a way to have something to do instead of being nervous and embarased.

i've done all the treatments, methods... patch, gum, cold turkey, ones i have not been able to access are hypnotism or acupuncture. i have quit many times, but there was always a 'longing' to have 'just one'.
from my quits i have come to believe the physical addiction is not strong or not there, the psycological addiction always trips me up.
it's time. i am well aware of that. you guys are my incentive to take action.

jC

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42430 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 2:26 PM
so i think the first thing to do is eliminate the ash trays. wash them all and store them away in the basement. the smell will bother me on the end of the first or 2nd day, i'm sure. and prying open a window or two will help.
jC

Author: kinlitt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42431 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 2:34 PM
Will give it a try.Might be fun after all.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42432 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 2:53 PM
"named after the St Brendan who discovered the America's in a leather covered boat?"

I bet the Indians were real glad to get out of that leather covered
boat.

Howie52
Wondering who supplied the boat?

The leathers were probably from the local Harley owners club.

BTW: Start to make a list of the whys and wherefores - it can help
when the physical and the psycho trips surface.

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42433 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 3:16 PM
Great, Kinlitt.

Glad to have you aboard.

]Shelley

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42434 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 3:22 PM
kinlitt,

Quitting smoking is fun? LOL With this gang it's about as close to fun as you're likely to get. I couldn't have done it without this board. After I posted a few times I liked it here so much I *had* to stay quit so I didn't have to come back and admit defeat. Besides, I didn't really care to be defeated by cigarettes.

One whole day is a long time for a smoker to go without a smoke. I've been doing that for 5 1/2 years now. :)

Welcome aboard.

Rebecca

Author: jackjg1947 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42435 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 4:31 PM

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kinlitt,

You'd be the first I've seen to describe it that way! Do you like going to the dentist? Waiting in checkout lines? Paying taxes? You'd love the sermons of my wife's church pastor.

Prepare for the worst and be grateful for anything less. You can do it, but give it a serious try. Get prepared and make a real committment!

Welcome aboard the board.

Jack G

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42436 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 5:38 PM

Good attitude! When I collected the right memories of life as a smoker, quitting did seem like fun. For example quitting was much more fun than the time I was sitting on my porcelain throne smoking a cigarette when the cherry popped and a nice red ember landed right on the tip of my XXXXX!

Elliott (hey, I could have been describing a smoker's lung!)

Author: brendan65 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42438 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/22/2005 7:46 PM
Hey jC,
Thanks for the cool link. I look forward to exploring it further, later.

I think the mental game is where most of us fail. After a few attempts most people can quit for a few days. The physical cravings are gone after a few days so why do we smoke again? Why do we pick up a cigarette that we know is harmful? What are we thinking when we reach for a cigarette? These are important questions we need to answer in order to stay away from cigarettes. We need to understand the thought process directly before we slip off the wagon for a cig. break so that we can take action to stop that thought process. What excuses have we used to have a smoke? How do we justify reverting back to a destructive habit? What lie do we need to believe so that we can smoke again?

I think the toughest thing for me before this quit was not being able to think about smoking except in the 'Boy, do I need a smoke!' kind of way. If I thought about a cigarette I could only think about WANTING one and then I had to struggle with that urge until my mind was either distracted by something else, or I was smoking. Now I am able to think about and talk about smoking without the urge to smoke.

So my question for you all, newcomers and oldcomers is; What were you thinking when you gave in and picked up that cigarette?

Author: damastr One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42439 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 12:39 AM
Sorry to post late on this board, but as they say, better late than never. I have always felt that quitting smoking is as difficult as starting exercising. Just wanted to share that I was able to quit smoking over three years ago and haven't smoked since. I didn't use any patch, gum or anything else. Just kicked butt (pardon the pun) one day. And yes, I was also able to get back to my exercise regimen a couple of weeks back after being on and off for about a year.
Best,

Author: brendan65 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42440 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 1:26 AM
Way to go damastr,
I think it is great that you popped in and let us know that there is one more person out there who has quit for some decent time! There are quite a few old timers (anyone who has over 1 year- my definition) here who kind of re-enforce their commitment to quitting smoking by coaching, enticing, prodding, encouraging, more prodding, joking the little tadpoles like myself. I guess 'more hands- lighter the work' is appropriate. But I doubt if anyone here thinks it is work- more like a fun, healthy place to come and meet all our new smoke-free buddies.

Author: downisland Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42441 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 10:23 AM
Recommendations: 5
Hi Folks
I'm so glad that I stumbled upon the Fools Kicking Butts Day, 3/25/05. Maybe we can conjure up some kind of extra cosmic/spiritual/ power that day if we all think of eachother. Being a "recovering" Catholic, the whole sacrifice on Good Friday works for me too.
My sad story is that after smoking from age 15-25, I quit for 23 years. Then, when my marriage (20 years) fell apart, I stupidly picked up cigarettes again to deal with the stress. Now I've been smoking on and off for the past 5 years and I can't seem to be able to quit. My 53rd Birthday is coming up on March 29th. This is all good timing. I'm tired of fighting with Philip Morris, it feels like I'm wrestling with the devil everyday with those da-n cigarettes. So I would like to commit with the rest of you, to quitting on March 25th. I think I'll use the patch and extreme house cleaning as my therapy. Wish us all Luck, Strength, Faith and Success!

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42442 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 10:36 AM
Ellen,

Thank you for posting and sharing your story. It's good to be reminded that we are NEVER safe from picking up even ONE cigarette. Ever.

I'm so glad that you'll be kicking the butts on March 25th. You'd better believe that all of the board regulars will be sending as much positive energy as we can muster toward everyone who's willing to give it a try for the day. The reason this board works so well is we are all committed to doing what we can to help other Quitters.

One thing worth mentioning: New Quitters (and those who post who plan to become the next new Quitters) help those of us with more time under our belts AT LEAST AS MUCH as we help you. Early on in my quit, it was those I was quitting along side of that helped me the most. Those just ahead of me showed me that it was possible. Those just behind made me work harder to show them that it's possible. The more I've helped others, the more I've helped myself. I think that's true for everyone here. Maybe that's why each person's success is so important to the group, not just one individual. We'd never push, but we LOVE to see success. We do what we can.

Extreme House Cleaning is a great method by the way. (Can I use that? I like it!) When I quit this was definitely one of my key methods for quitting. In the first week I cleaned my oven. With hot water and an old sponge. I cleaned everything in sight! And I missed some things. When we moved about 9 months after we quit smoking I found a box of stuff in the back of the closet... Picture and stuff like that. That box smelled SOOOOOOOOO bad. I let it air out, but it took forever and it still probably smells bad. (My husband recently went up to the attic to get some of his writing out and I couldn't even read it until it aired out for TWO WEEKS!)

Good luck on Friday. Keep posting. You don't have to wait to post until you quit. And on Friday, feel free to post a LOT if that's what will help.

Rebecca

Author: downisland Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42443 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 10:40 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks so much for the support.

Author: brendan65 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42446 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 11:13 AM
We have Rebecca to thank for the great idea of having the Kick Butts Day and TomG to thank for getting the word out on all the boards and at HG.

I do not deal with quitting smoking anymore. I just give that trouble over to God and let him deal with it. I have too much else I need to do. Everytime I think about it I remind God that he is meant to be taking care of those urges. At the end of the day I give thanks for getting me through the day without smoking. It seems to work okay.

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42450 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 4:02 PM
Rebecca,

Qutting smoking is hard enough without making people clean their house at the same time.:) I hate to clean and did not find it catharctic or anything else when I was quitting. All I wanted to do was eat and eat and eat. And I did and it still shows.

Good Luck to all on Friday.

Shelley

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42453 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 5:05 PM

Good attitude! When I collected the right memories of life as a smoker, quitting did seem like fun. For example quitting was much more fun than the time I was sitting on my porcelain throne smoking a cigarette when the cherry popped and a nice red ember landed right on the tip of my XXXXX!

Ouch!!!!I would say "I feel your pain" but it doesn't quite apply in my case! LOL

Allison

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42456 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 6:47 PM
One of things a friend of mine did to help keep his hands busy was to brush his teeth whenever he got the urge to smoke.Good-luck everybody

Author: chicagocubs Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42458 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 10:46 PM
Recommendations: 6
This is my first time on this board. I've struggled for over a year and a half with quitting. I went about three months at the end of last year and had on a very frightful New Years Day I awoke with a pack next to me and the habbit had returned.

I currently live in Chicago and the average price per pack is around $6. Quitting will give me an additional $2,000 to invest each year.

I'm going to join you on the 25th and quit smoking.

Will

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42459 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/23/2005 10:55 PM
So my question for you all, newcomers and oldcomers is; What were you thinking when you gave in and picked up that cigarette?

aaaaaAARRGGGGGHHHHHH!!! I CANT STAND IT JUST ONE WILL BE OK

well you asked.

One was NEVER enough. 1 becomes 2. i'm getting ready tonite, i'll start a seperate thread.
right not i am getting scared. what if i fail? what if i succeed?
which is worse?

and another thing. go to a different store. MaryAnne always says "One or two?" i'm not ready to face that.
jC

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42463 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/24/2005 7:17 AM
Will,

Welcome!

$2K to invest each year should be a powerful motivator. It would be for me at this point. When I quit, I also quit for financial reasons... We were spedning more on cigarettes for 2 people than food for 4. (How shameful is that?)

Now we are doing better financially (5 1/2 years later) but I still couldn't tell you where cigarettes would fit into our budget. I guess we'd have to replace saving, investing, and debt reduction. Nope. Not worth it.

Here's a funny thought. I remember when I moved out I would think stuff like, "I have to spend my money for toilet bowl cleaner?" Recently I had to buy a new hot water heater. It's nice, actually, but that's not the point. Until the other one sprung a leak I would have kept it forever. I don't want to spend MY MONEY on that stuff. And whatever happened to the toilet paper fairy who visited my childhood home?

But I was willing to let $200+ per month go up in smoke? How stupid is that?

You've come to the right place, and I think you picked a great day. Quitting smoking is possible. It takes hard work in the beginning, and it takes being diligent, maybe forever. But it's possible, it's the best decision I've ever made, and I know that this board will help you in anyway that we can.

Rebecca

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42464 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/24/2005 7:19 AM
-------

I was thinking I hadn't had a cigarette in 6 months. I had a 6 month old baby, a jerk for a husband (who I later divorced) and my friend's cigarette smelled soooooooooooo good. It wasn't a stressful moment for me. Actually, I was rather relaxed, just hanging out with my friend in my apartment after the baby went to sleep. I was just going to have one. The next morning I went out and bought a pack. LOL I made a special trip out to buy a pack. (This is kind of a big deal because I am such a homebody.)

Rebecca

Author: downisland Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42468 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/24/2005 7:48 AM
What was I thinking when I gave in and picked up that cigarette, after 23 years of not smoking?
I was thinking, "smoking looks like fun, I've quit before, I can quit again whenever I want to, I'll just have one". Five years later, I've quit twice in the past five years, (9 months) and (11 months) both times I picked up because in the middle of my divorce with two teenage boys acting up, I felt sad and overwhelmed, the cigarettes were some kind of friend, or outlet. But that is how they fool you. Cigarettes are not really your friend and they are not really fun.

Author: Lisalbo One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42488 of 57412
Subject: Re: Fools Kicking Butts Day 3/25/2005 Date: 3/24/2005 11:49 PM
Just think, if we could all continue to "quit", what money we would all have to further invest!! ;-)

I quit for 60 days on Dec 10th and then I started to "cheat" ....just like the FOOL that I am, I reached for that "one" cigarette (what harm could it do?), and went from cheating (one or two at a party) to a closet smoker (again!).....what a downer!

I will make every effort to quit tomorrow (again), and hope that if you can get one or two of us "die hards", then it was all worth it!!!

This is one stock (MO, UST, ETC) I can accept going "down" because I am no longer contributing (heftily , I might add) to their bottom line....THAT IS, AFTER TODAY!!!

Good luck to all smokers making the attempt!!!

Lisa

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement