UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PhilSoftwareEng Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1957795  
Subject: Fools unite! Short list of demands. Date: 10/4/2012 8:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
I hope everyone is enjoying the political season.

I'm convinced that who we elect is less important than coming up with a popular front and a short list of demands from our community. No elected official is immune to a large enough popular movement, and most won't act without it.

Examples in our history include passing the Civil Rights Act, the Clean Water/Air acts, ending the Vietnam war etc.

I therefore propose that we try to agree on a short list of demands that we as individual investors and citizens can agree upon and pursue it relentlessly with whoever is elected.

Here is my short list of demands, that I think we should all be able to agree upon. I haven't gone into a lot of detail on each area, and any constructive feedback or support from my fellow Fools is greatly appreciated:

Short list of demands:

1. Upholding of our rights as small, individual investors.
This includes:

a) The right of shareholders to approve executive compensation. Executive compensations has risen more than ten-fold in the past several decades and we have seen no discernible return on this expense. Corporations are not being run any better as a result of higher compensation, on could argue that they are being run worse to the detriment of long term value.

b) The right of shareholders to put issues on corporate ballots that with reasonably low enough requirements such that a reasonable number of investors can propose change even for large corporations.

c) The right of shareholders in reasonably small numbers to nominate individuals for the board of directors such that a reasonable number of individual investors can nominate an individual for office.

d) Proper regulation of all financial markets with the goal of making a level field for all investors large and small, reducing systemic risk in the markets, and enforcing of regulations in a consistent and transparent matter.

2. Upholding our rights as citizens:

a) The right to of privacy and freedom from unreasonable search and seizure including, warrant-less monitoring of phone calls, emails and other data. Freedom to travel, including, by air, without being subjected to unreasonable searches, delays which are imposed without public comment and review and violate basic constitutional rights.

b) Curbing the influence of money in politics. Through campaign contributions and lobbying, the means to pass legislation benefiting the majority of the population is diminished. It does little good to pass a bill that was originally started as a popular mandate but then written by lobbyists who are able to distort it into a vehicle for special interests.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement