Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I think you might do well to try your question on the Tax Strategies board, or maybe the Retirement Investing board.

From what little I can tell though, I think you would do best to contribute after-tax dollars to a Roth IRA first (the limit as you probably know is $2000 a year) and only after you've done that, make contributions to the 401k with the hopes that that money will stick.

As I say, try the Tax Strategies board for an additional line of attack on this question.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.