No. of Recommendations: 0
For absolute safety, US Treasury bills.
You get a 1-year bill from Treasury Direct. You pay no commission. You buy it at a discount reflecting current interest rates, and the face value is deposited directly into the designated account on maturity.
After 1 year, if you want to renew for another 3 months or 6 months, you so direct the treasury and it will be done.
GNMAs may fluctuate in value. Actually, WILL fluctuate in value. Any mutual fund will.
You could get a 1 year CD from your bank and possibly renew for 6 months, and that would be safe.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.