No. of Recommendations: 2
For all those reading who plan to retire early -- or just retire period some day, please remember that once you have your nest egg it is vulnerable to the fledglings who come back to pick at it. It hasn't happened to us and appears unlikely it ever will, due to our son's strong work ethic and responsible behavior towards money. But... no one is immune to life's emergencies. A serious illness or disability can happen to anyone. More often it is simply poor decision-making. And, it is happening more and more often to my generation whose kids are 30-40.

So as you plan for that retirement, remember that significant and frequent gouges to the nest egg are not replaceable once you're no longer working. Plan accordingly!

TMFJeanie

Excellent, if not sobering, point. I'm single with no children. Howeven even without children, I still have to worry about family members who may need financial assistance in future. An elderly mother has limited financial resources and a medical condition (Parkinson's disease) that is almost certain to land her in a nursing home in the future. A sibling who is mentally handicapped and who cannot take of himself is also likely to need financial assistance in the future.

Therefore, to anyone contemplating pulling the plug on a good paying job and FIREing, look at all possible future scenarios where your nest egg may have some unexpected lump sum withdrawals.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement