UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: globalist2013 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35379  
Subject: For AltStrat & LongReits, Date: 1/18/2013 2:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
altstrat91 and LONGRETS,

Your joint whining about ‘missed opportunities’ inspired me to create the table below, which is merely part of a longer analysis I’m doing for myself. But I’d say this to both of you.

Never drive yourself crazy with “woulda/coulda/shoulda”.

Instead, fix the problems, which are two-fold: crappy analysis and/or crappy execution. 'Missed opportunities' are generally due to one, or the other (or both), with this caveat. You will NEVER catch every fish in the lake or stream. It just ain’t going to happen, nor should it ever be one’s goal. If your time on the water yields a reasonable catch, thank the fishing gods, and go home happy. And that 'catch', as Ben Hur Lampman writes in his classic essay, “A Leaf from French Eddy”, might be no more than good memories of a glorious day on the water.

Charlie
----------------------------------------

A Scoring Card for Buy-side Investors

Analysis Result Comment
Predicted 'Up' & Placed a Bet Got It Right People generally attribute these wins to 'skill' and rarely to pure randomness.
Predicted 'Up' & Placed a Bet Got It Wrong People always attribute these losses to 'bad luck' or 'tough markets', never to their own lack of skill.

Predicted 'Up' but Didn't Bet Would Have Gotten It Right These are the 'misses' that people always remember with regret.
Predicted 'Up' but Didn't Bet Would Have Gotten It Wrong These are the 'misses' that people oh so conveniently forget.

Predicted 'Down' & Backed Away Got It Right Rarely do people remember these wins, but they should. Money not lost is money won.
Predicted 'Down' & Backed Away Would Have Gotten It Wrong These are more 'misses' people remember with regret, conveniently underestimating their lack of skill.

Concluded the Facts Were Too Messy Got It Right Rarely do people remember these wins, but they should. Money not lost is money won.
Concluded the Facts Were Too Messy Got It Wrong People always excuse this 'miss' with "no one could have foreseen that".

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement