Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
For amounts under $10,000 the IRS must accept a reasonable payment plan. There is a setup fee and interest. You have increased your withholding for this year and will be paying the balance of 2001 taxes and you are recently married. Normally would not recommend debt but since you are already going to pay the setup fee you might want to consider just setting up the plan for the full amount.

You did not indicate if you also owe state tax. At least with California it is better to pay the state in full and deal with the IRS.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.