Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ElSupremo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6725  
Subject: For better or worse. Date: 5/12/2000 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Greetings all:-)

Well, here goes.

Those who know me know I'm a little contrarian when it comes to investing. I believe at this point in history there is no better investment than the index fund. I believe any LTBH portfolio should be weighted heavily with index funds if not "All" index funds. I believe the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund(VFINX) is the best single investment for the average LTBH investor with an eye toward retirement. I believe that VFINX, VTSMX, or a similar fund should be the core of any sane persons portfolio. I believe that bonds and bond funds are not "Foolish". I believe there is no such thing as a "Smart fund manager". I believe that an investment in a managed mutual fund is the same as rolling the dice on a Reno craps table. I believe a fund like VFINX has all the diversity you will ever need. And finally I believe the index funds board is the best board on this web site, financially speaking, and you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't spend some time there each day.

I'm posting here because I see the cry's for help, and everyone should know there is a sound retirement plan that does not involve buying individual stocks, bonds, bond funds or learning some mechanical investment strategy. It involves two simple steps and it's the only steps you need ever take. 1) Invest in an index fund like VFINX or VTSMX. 2)Dollar cost average. Which only amounts to making regular contributions to your portfolio.

I can hear the day traders and mutual fund advisors screaming as I type, I can hear the winning of the diversifiers camp, and the howling of the bond advocates, and I can feel the brokers throats tightening. You don't need to pay one dime in commissions, or have some "advisor" telling you which loaded mutual fund to buy to have a successful retirement plan. Just do those two simple things.

I believe one other thing, I believe I'm in the minority here. It's human nature to gamble an this plan is BORING! And the trouble is I can't prove a thing for another 15 years! I can say that with mostly index funds I've averaged nearly a 15% per year return over the life of my portfolio. But as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results. All I can do is give my point of view, and hope it's helpful to someone.

That's my $0.02 and it's not advice, just another point of view to consider. I look forward to contributing what I can to the PMB. Managing your portfolio has to be at least as important as what's in it. Perhaps we can learn together.

Take care,
ES

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement