No. of Recommendations: 0
For Dr. C.

Yes U Can

According to

"If you convert only a portion of your IRA holdings to a Roth IRA, the IRS says that these withdrawals are considered to be taken ratably from each ordinary IRA account."


"Holders of ordinary IRA accounts will be permitted to convert their accounts to Roth IRA accounts if they meet certain criteria. First, there is a limit on MAGI of $100K for that individual in the year of the conversion, single or married. Second, taxpayers whose filing status is married filing separately may not convert their ordinary IRA accounts to Roth accounts.

That's the only reference I've been able to find that addresses your question directly and, as it happens, I was researching your question independently when you asked.

How will you decide what part of the IRA to convert?

Will you plan on converting some during each year of eligibility to convert or only once?


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.