UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61105  
Subject: For Intercst Date: 9/20/2008 10:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
intercst,
AngelSpouse is very interested in how you managed to get an Irish passport/Irish citizenship. Thanks.

AM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14675 of 61105
Subject: Re: For Intercst Date: 9/20/2008 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
AngelMay asks,

AngelSpouse is very interested in how you managed to get an Irish passport/Irish citizenship. Thanks.

You can get an Irish passport if you have a parent or grandparent that was born in Ireland. (Both of my parents were born in Ireland) Several other European countries have similiar rules. Here's the article I saw back in June that prompted me to apply.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/ep...

intercst

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14683 of 61105
Subject: Re: For Intercst Date: 9/20/2008 5:02 PM
AngelMay asks,

You can get an Irish passport if you have a parent or grandparent that was born in Ireland. (Both of my parents were born in Ireland) Several other European countries have similiar rules. Here's the article I saw back in June that prompted me to apply.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/ep......

intercst

------------

O well....
I'm out of luck.
My ancestors came from Scotland - and I don't have a clue who they were. :(

Happy for you, though.

AM

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14685 of 61105
Subject: Re: For Intercst Date: 9/20/2008 8:50 PM
O well....
I'm out of luck.
My ancestors came from Scotland - and I don't have a clue who they were. :(

Happy for you, though.

Yeah me too. My grannies were both into genealogy and was very happy that all sides of our family had been America "forever." So perhaps we first arrivers are "trapped" here. Maybe I could sneak along in DW's suitcase, her grannie was from England.
Ted

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14687 of 61105
Subject: Re: For Intercst Date: 9/20/2008 10:28 PM
In the UK it used to be the same, except that if you were born abroad they had to register you at birth. Even with a parent/grandparent from the UK, these days you can no longer get a passport just based on that.

I have a UK passport because I was born there to US citizen parents. I use it when I travel in the EU.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14724 of 61105
Subject: Re: For Intercst Date: 9/22/2008 1:33 AM
That's interesting. I found out awhile back that I qualify for Italian citizenship based on the fact that (1) my grandfather, who was born in Italy, didn't become an American citizen until after my father was born, and (2) my father never formally renounced his Italian citizenship which he automatically had because of that, even though he was born in the U.S. (I'm sure my father never realized he was an Italian citizen).

Of course, to claim Italian citizenship, I'd have to gather all the documentation to prove it (birth and marriage certificates, etc.) which I haven't done yet because I've been lazy, but it's definitely on my "to do" list.

I'm surprised by just how many people I know who have dual citizenship... it's not at all uncommon.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement