Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: enoch01 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14302  
Subject: For profit education Date: 1/9/2013 8:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Apollo, ITT, etc - all dropping.

At some price just about anything becomes a bargain. The questions are: what does the future look like for the industry, and who will be the survivors?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: StuyvesantGrad70 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13088 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/9/2013 9:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
On top of their current problems, it will be hard to compete with free education:

Universities Reshaping Education on the Web
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/education/consortium-of-co...
As part of a seismic shift in online learning that is reshaping higher education, Coursera, a year-old company founded by two Stanford University computer scientists, will announce on Tuesday that a dozen major research universities are joining the venture. In the fall, Coursera will offer 100 or more free massive open online courses, or MOOCs, that are expected to draw millions of students and adult learners globally.

Author: mark19601962 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13091 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/9/2013 3:20 PM
Recommendations: 3
I lost money on Apollo. I think that since that since the students are not getting govt. loans as easily, or at all, they are in bad shape.

There was a big scandal about high pressure tech., and lies, to get students to sign up, and pay for the education through govt. loans, and then a huge percentage of the students did not finish the program, or could not find work if they did.

That caused the govt. to cut off easy access to loans for the students.

I am going to stay away.

Author: enoch01 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13094 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/9/2013 4:28 PM
Recommendations: 1
There was a big scandal about high pressure tech., and lies, to get students to sign up, and pay for the education through govt. loans, and then a huge percentage of the students did not finish the program, or could not find work if they did.

Yup, that's pretty much what happened. What happens going forward is the important idea.

Author: mungofitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13096 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/10/2013 11:36 AM
Recommendations: 2
What happens going forward is the important idea.

Indeed.
There is some evidence that there is no way that traditional US colleges
and universities can handle the number of people who will want qualifications,
nor the number of people that government policy wants to have them.
Thus, there should be a good demand for for-profit education shops in fugure.
I can't think there is any reason that there can't be any good ones,
nor any reason the government would have a hard time providing financial
support to students attending those good ones.

So, it's a matter of figuring out how big the "honest" market is likely to be,
and who among the current players is the closest to being honest.
There's a good chance that whoever that is (Kaplan? No idea) is probably
oversold in a baby-with-the-bathwater kind of way.
It's quite possible that it's a good business to be in even when done in a straight-shooting way.

Jim
No position

Author: mark19601962 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13097 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/12/2013 9:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
I know a decent amount about this industry, because I owned apollo.

They service lower income people, many of whom have full time jobs, and children.

It would be impossible for them to go to a traditional college. They also go out into industry, and look for what companies are looking for in employees.

There is definitely a need for this.

Because the people who use these colleges have so many other responsibilities, and also lack some basic skills, a lot of them drop out.

The question is whether the govt. will keep giving the students loans to go to these schools.

Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13098 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/12/2013 9:41 PM
They service lower income people
Do APOL provide income range of their student population?

Perhaps I could be wrong, but I thought, recently, especially with UoP they are attempting to target "higher priced, higher quality".

Any ideas?

Author: mark19601962 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13099 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/13/2013 12:41 AM
I don't about apol, but I know that you can get master's degrees in computer science for example from for profit universities, so I think that there are high income people using them.

I think though that they are not the typical student.

Author: knighttof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13100 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/13/2013 1:59 AM
DeVry (DV) seems to be the diamond in the rough among these universities.
Not too greedy, nice fundamentals.
Once upon a time I thought STRA (Strayer) was OK, but the debt level and the CEO shenanigans prove me wrong.

Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13101 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/13/2013 10:54 AM
I know that you can get master's degrees in computer science for example from for profit universities,

That seems like incorrect. I know many "for-profit" universities do offer MS on computer science and UoP certainly offers it. Here is the link.

http://www.phoenix.edu/programs/degree-programs/technology/m...

Author: mark19601962 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13102 of 14302
Subject: Re: For profit education Date: 1/13/2013 12:54 PM
That seems like incorrect. I know many "for-profit" universities do offer MS on computer science and UoP certainly offers it. Here is the link.

Why is what I said incorrect. I was saying that I think you can get a master's in computer science from for profit schools. I just had not looked at apollo's course selection.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement